• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
Is Incorporation right for South Walton? Is now the time?

On February 26th the South Walton Community Council (SWCC) will present Lynn Tipton of Florida League of Cities to speak and answer questions about incorporating South Walton as a city. Two sessions will be held at the Seaside Repertory Theater, located in Seaside Florida, at 216 Quincy Circle. One session will be at 4 p.m., the other at 7 p.m.

As residents express their frustration with land use and growth management concerns & the enforcement of current regulations, the prospect of incorporating South Walton County has risen again. South county residents state their desire for more fiscal control of their tax dollars & more representation in decision making. These reasons have brought concerned citizens to search for solutions and more information about incorporation.

The informational sessions will answer questions, such as:
What does incorporation mean?
What are the pros and cons?
What areas can incorporate?
What is the process?
How long does it take?
What about taxes?

Questions will be taken from those attending.

For more information, contact SWCC @ info@southwaltoncc.org

Come out and join local SoWal citizens as they explore these critical topics. You can help shape the direction of Santa Rosa Beach / South Walton County, Florida.

Thursday Feb. 26 | two sessions: 4pm, 7pm
Seaside Meeting Hall Theater (Seaside REP auditorium)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Space will be VERY limited- unfortunately there are not lots of large meeting space options as we are quickly finding out. I would arrive early, as the space only has 75 seats plus about 15 standing room spaces.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
To bad. Seems that the library has space that would exceed that capacity. Hope I can make it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
To bad. Seems that the library has space that would exceed that capacity. Hope I can make it.

I hope you can too Bob. There is a plan to video both meetings and share online. There was a reason the library wasn't used, can't remember, although I don't think it has enough chairs/seats. Also the Rep has the tech stuff already in place. If anyone knows of rooms large enough to accommodate hundreds of people in South Walton, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in knowing about them. Maybe some of the larger churches would be willing to host future meetings and events. It is such a shame that the high school can't be used, when it seemed like very recently the several Walton County schools were allowed to be used by churches for services on Sundays- why not for public meetings by taxpayers?

Remember, this is just a basic, general information meeting- what may or may not be the start of a real process of incorporating. By scheduling this meeting, the SWCC is just getting the ball rolling, and if there is large and strong interest, then hopefully a group will be formed to move it forward. Something tells me that there is already a huge amount of interest and this ball will keep rolling- fast.;-)

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I can only speak for myself when I say I hope Miramar Beach is left out of this plan.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I hope you can too Bob. There is a plan to video both meetings and share online. There was a reason the library wasn't used, can't remember, although I don't think it has enough chairs/seats. Also the Rep has the tech stuff already in place. If anyone knows of rooms large enough to accommodate hundreds of people in South Walton, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in knowing about them. Maybe some of the larger churches would be willing to host future meetings and events. It is such a shame that the high school can't be used, when it seemed like very recently the several Walton County schools were allowed to be used by churches for services on Sundays- why not for public meetings by taxpayers?

Remember, this is just a basic, general information meeting- what may or may not be the start of a real process of incorporating. By scheduling this meeting, the SWCC is just getting the ball rolling, and if there is large and strong interest, then hopefully a group will be formed to move it forward. Something tells me that there is already a huge amount of interest and this ball will keep rolling- fast.;-)

Call Tim & Carol Pauls
http://www.thecelebrationhall.com

or

Jim Shirley / Billy McConnell / Carol Hubbard
http://www.331south.com

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Hopefully this is just an EaWal thing and they leave WeWal out of this.