• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
QUESTION #13:

DO YOU HAVE ANY FRESH PERSPECTIVES ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THE CUSTOMARY USE ISSUE? AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT RECENT ACTIONS TO PLAN AND FINANCE BEACH RENOURISHMENT?

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I’ve supported customary use from the beginning and I will always support it. I fully support any effort for beach renourishment.

DAVID BUCHANAN

Customary use is a prime example of how the county should have worked better to resolve these issues in a more effective way at the onset. This issue will be resolved in the court so depending on that decision we can try to move forward as a more united Walton County to address the concerns of our residence. There is non-private beach available in Walton county that currently sees little to no use. This would help to alleviate some of our beach related problems, including traffic on 30A.

DONNA JOHNS

Yes, I believe there is a way to make this a win-win. Many beach front owners do not mind someone sitting on their beach; however, we must be respectful of the property. As most of us are aware, Customary Use is currently in the courts, and I am in support of watching and supporting the court’s decision. As for the beach renourishment, I am not a fan of this if the white sand is not available. I am not convinced the sand in the gulf will be the same as the sand on our beach. The white sand is what makes the Emerald Coast what it is.

Two support it and one clearly doesn't.

Regarding the white sand, that's an old argument that's never held water. I've personally seen the samples and they are fine.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Two support it and one clearly doesn't.

Regarding the white sand, that's an old argument that's never held water. I've personally seen the samples and they are fine.
Pristine samples are good. Walk out on Panama City Beach and you'll see the reality of a few dredge and fill operations. Still a nice beach but nothing like it used to be or Walton is. Of course Bay Cuunty is VERY wide also.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Pristine samples are good. Walk out on Panama City Beach and you'll see the reality of a few dredge and fill operations. Still a nice beach but nothing like it used to be or Walton is. Of course Bay Cuunty is VERY wide also.

Bay county is on about their 10th renouriehment and they have run out of borrower sites. IIRC Walton county has several quality borrow sites off shore.

For the record I have no problem with Panama City Beach's sand. Also, you won't catch me at a meeting being filmed talking about how pure white anything the county does.