• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
South Walton Fire District's Chief retires after 41 years of fire service
Talbert.JPG

By Gail Levy |
Posted: Thu 5:52 PM, Feb 21, 2019 |

WALTON COUNTY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - For Fire Chief Richard Talbert, going into the fire service was in his blood.

"You know, my family, my dad and my uncles, were all in the fire service in Washington D.C. and it was something that was intriguing to me," said Talbert.

Now after 41 years, Chief Talbert is calling it a day.

"It's kinda surreal, it's bittersweet and quite honestly here in the last few days it's [been] quite emotional," said Talbert.

After serving as South Walton Fire District's Chief for the past 11 years, his last day on the job took him back to what made him fall in love with this line of work as a kid.

"I'll stay connected to the fire service but I knew I probably wasn't gonna ride in a fire truck again," said Talbert.

One of his last acts on his last day was to hop in the truck at a moment's notice.

"I can say that Chief Talbert in 2019, you know, he rode with us," said South Walton Fire District Lieutenant Paramedic Chris Powell.

Those who rode with him can see the legacy he's leaving behind.

"I think in 11 years we've accomplished a lot and our Beach Safety Program has grown, additional fire rescue units, our building project on our property here," said Talbert.

And one thing Chief Talbert is especially proud of...

"I think the thing that I'm most proud of is the men and women here, how they've grown and matured and they position themselves to be their very best," said Talbert.

And those men and women say they're sorry to see him leave.

"There's gonna be some sadness, of course. Probably some moments of... 'God are we really doing this without him?'" said South Walton Fire District Fire Marshal Sammy Sanchez.

"It's been an extraordinary time, I think he's taken South Walton Fire District a lot of different places that we didn't know that we could go to," said Powell.

"I know in my heart it'll be, it's gonna go even higher. It'll be even better. So I feel good about that," said Talbert.

Talbert will officially start his retirement February 28, after he teaches a Fire Officer Development course in Ocala. Then he and his wife plan on going out west and hiking.