• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
South Walton Fire District:
RED TIDE ALERT!
Monday Sep 20 2021

If you visited the beach throughout the weekend, you may have noticed difficulty breathing or other respiratory issues that seemed to disappear shortly after you left the sand.

These issues are largely related to "Red Tide," which is a harmful algal bloom (HAB). One of the most commonly known HABs in the United States occurs nearly every summer along Florida's Gulf Coast, and we're noticing its presence in South Walton this week.

Do not panic. This will come to an end. However, anyone with minor to severe respiratory issues should use their best judgement when visiting the beach. In case of respiratory emergency, alert the nearest lifeguard or call 911.

As a warning, South Walton Fire District is flying the Purple Flag to indicate a large presence of dangerous marine life or pests (algae). Be safe out there!

Learn more here:

FB_IMG_1632147785777.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jashleyren

Beach Comber
Sep 15, 2021
Destin
Thank you for posting. My wife and I noticed it yesterday in a brief visit to a beach in Miramar. Sneezing and a light cough, which was so strange. We also started noticing it in some people near us, and then I knew something was up. And then we saw it: a dead fish, about 18 inches long, which the birds welcomed.

I knew the water had a different hue to it, in pockets. I was glad to see the strange orange orb in the sky, even veiled thinly by clouds, but not a good beach day, which is hard to imagine!

Jessicarusso205

Beach Crab
Sep 21, 2021
Florida
My family and I just left today from seacrest (hwy30a). We also were experiencing these symptoms, the burning in the eyes was unlike any other experiences from salt water. I have asthma and it has irritated my lungs. Yesterday we saw one dead fish well this morning there is multiple(over 10) washed ashore! 4 days ago red algae was floating all around us.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
My family and I just left today from seacrest (hwy30a). We also were experiencing these symptoms, the burning in the eyes was unlike any other experiences from salt water. I have asthma and it has irritated my lungs. Yesterday we saw one dead fish well this morning there is multiple(over 10) washed ashore! 4 days ago red algae was floating all around us.

You can thank all the folks with yards south of 98. The runoff exacerbates the problem. This was not an issue 15 years ago.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Yesterday morning in Seagrove I didn't notice any red tide while I was on the walkover at San Juan.

There was a touch of red tide in the air in Grayton Beach yesterday afternoon with an onshore wind. If it had been calm or an offshore wind you probably wouldn't notice. Unless you were in the water. I would stay out out of the water if you get any hints of it.

Jashleyren

Beach Comber
Sep 15, 2021
Destin
You can thank all the folks with yards south of 98. The runoff exacerbates the problem. This was not an issue 15 years ago.
While I agree with you somewhat, as much rain as the entire southeast has had this summer, I'm surprised it's not been a bigger problem. That old Mississippi River has to be ejecting huge amounts of runoff from the north. We seem to be in store for a long dry period, and it's way overdue. I expect all of this to clear, if it hasn't already, quickly.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
While I agree with you somewhat, as much rain as the entire southeast has had this summer, I'm surprised it's not been a bigger problem. That old Mississippi River has to be ejecting huge amounts of runoff from the north. We seem to be in store for a long dry period, and it's way overdue. I expect all of this to clear, if it hasn't already, quickly.
The Mississippi takes a minute to drain so much of that runoff will contribute to next year.

Oddly storms seem to help as they agitate the water and mix it up.

S-dubOg

Beach Lover
Sep 30, 2017
gulf
Just strong north winds blowing it out to deeper waters, my guess is it will be back when the wind comes back around on shore.