Twas the night before Christmas and Walton County was a "dry" county, thanks to the efforts of the church ladies. The only place one could get a legal mixed drink in those days was the DeFuniak Country Club, located in a (then) remote area out on U.S. Highway 90 West. Everyone was primed for their holiday toddies and revelry, which would extend into the New Year. Early in the evening on Christmas Eve, a golf cart in the storage room adjacent to the country club threw a spark and a small fire broke out. The fire soon spread to the country club and the DeFuniak Springs Volunteer Fire Department was called. They connected the engine hose to the fire hydrant and began pumping away, but the hydrant soon ran dry. So the intrepid firefighters pulled the hose down the access road and across the railroad tracks, connecting to a workable hydrant down near Hwy. 90. They then resumed firefighting efforts to the cheers of the few lonely souls who had been in the bar on Christmas Eve. Whereupon the freight train came through, cutting the fire hose into, and the country club burned to the ground. No well-mixed holiday drinks for local imbibers that year! Dad was fond of saying, "Grown men cried like babies that night." True story, one and all. You could look it up! Happy Thanksgiving.