• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
I've heard of a lot of people catching rolling tarpon beyond the sandbar between Destin/Pensacola and Appach/Mexico beach...Anybody seen or caught off of 30-A...Red

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If the Tarpon are hitting, you will not find any fisherman surfing the web. They will be too busy catching fish. ;-) Personally, I have not seen any, but I haven't seen any fisherman either. Maybe they are too busy to be seen.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
red:

First, I'm by no means an expert on tarpon fishing. However, there are lots Tarpon inshore right now. You can kayak out past the second sand bar and see them. Getting them to bite is another matter.

They seem to be cruising through on their way to feeding grounds around Indian Pass. I'm told they prefer feeding over a grass bottom, which we don't have around here.

Some are reporting second-hand stories regarding recent "catches", but I'm not sure. You know the type? A friend of my second-cousin's wife said his buddy caught....

hookem

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2007
Birmingham, AL
i think you should be able to kayak at least to the second sand bar and throw out a mullet or some sort of batefish or even a cut bait. you can then throw that out there and sit for a while in your kayak because they would need to pick up a scent trail. you might want to take water or something out there with you and then get ready for the ride of your life. you could also take another rod with a large lure that resembles a baitfish in case you see a tarpon roll. if you cast out a baitfish or cut bait you want to use a lot of line but i wouldnt recommend a metal leader because the tarpon can sometimes get spooked by it. good luck

jpburn

Beach Crab
Jul 9, 2005
I just recently went tarpon fishing at the pass and landed a 225-250# tarpon. Most amazing thing I have done in a while.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
OHHH! You said Tarpon on the sand bar. I thought you found something else on the sand bar...