• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Depends on the listing.

Would that listing have been more attractive if it had just been the total up front?

I'm in total agreement that the sticker shock some rentals have after add-ons is almost criminal. It's like the $2 Tijuana chicken.
It’s like airlines advertising round trip fairs using a one way price that doesn’t exist.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Something those who want to include taxes and fees in the rate up front may want to consider is that Walton County is considering an additional 1% surtax for infrastructure. Nothing has been decided yet, but this would make the sales tax to the State of Florida 8%...and the bed tax would be 13%.
As one who long ago worked with bed tax collectors during a tax rate change and had quoted / rec'd payment in full and had to either go back and collect more or just eat it, might want to watch this closely and maybe mention to guests so that they don't think you are trying to gouge them.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Something those who want to include taxes and fees in the rate up front may want to consider is that Walton County is considering an additional 1% surtax for infrastructure. Nothing has been decided yet, but this would make the sales tax to the State of Florida 8%...and the bed tax would be 13%.
As one who long ago worked with bed tax collectors during a tax rate change and had quoted / rec'd payment in full and had to either go back and collect more or just eat it, might want to watch this closely and maybe mention to guests so that they don't think you are trying to gouge them.

Or pretend infrastructure is just fine and we don't really need this tax.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
I have a 3 brm 3 bath house for rent in Grove by the Sea and self manage . Just raised my rates due to big insurance and taxes increase. ($3200+ $405 FL/TDC taxes and $175 cleaning plus a refundable $500 damage deposit...no hidden fees tacked on) I tell my former renters to book directly with me rather than Vrbo to avoid their fees.
I've been listed on Vrbo since 1999 with a llow listing # of just over 10000. My how it has changed...and not necessarily for the better in my opinion.
We've been staying in the same place since 2010, 2 or 3 times a year. That's nice to offer that to frequent visitors. I was annoyed that the rental agency offered a reduced deal but with fees became so expensive. I understand rising prices but got us to look with the low entry level price! Also, if they advertised the final price, I wouldn't have looked at it! We thought we might like to try somewhere else as an extra vacation. (We just returned from a week at our usual Seaside spot. Wonderful weather for walking & riding our bikes, which we haven't had here in Louisville.) Ellen