• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
By David Magliano

As their name suggests, the Walton County Taxpayers Association represents those who pay taxes in Walton County. They do not necessarily represent residents of the county, and the group actually focuses much of its energy on nonresidents.
?They are more vocal about the tax burden on them,? said Bob Hudson, treasurer of the WCTA. ?They don?t get to vote on who the elected offi cials are so they are seeking someone here that on a day-to-day basis can represent them.?
Hudson said most of the tax dollars collected by the county are from those who own land in Walton County but live elsewhere because they are not eligible for the homestead exemption, making their tax bills higher.
The exemption takes $25,000 off the taxable value of the house and caps the annual appraisal increase at no more than 3 percent. To be eligible for homesteading, the property must be your primary residence.
?They bear a great deal of the cost,? said Hudson.
Hudson said taxpayers outside of Walton County do not receive as much of the benefit of what their tax dollars pay for as residents do. Taxing authorities do not need to answer to those taxpayers either, said Hudson, because they cannot vote in elections.
?[Elected offi cials] are not accountable to that person the same way they are someone who lives here,? he said.
With much of its energy focused on non-residents, the WCTA places a heavy emphasis on lowering tax rates.
Darrell Barnhill, vice chairman of the Walton County School Board and a member of the WCTA, said the group sometimes focuses too narrowly on tax rates without considering consequences.
?I?ve asked the Taxpayers Association, as a member and as an elected official, to work together to find out what can be eliminated or postponed,? he said. ?But that didn?t happen.?
The WCTA recently gave the school board an F grade as a taxing authority. Barnhill said that in the past, the group has provided specifi c examples of items they felt could be eliminated from the budget to allow for a lower tax rate. This year, he said the WCTA did not do that.
Much of the school board was upset with the WCTA grade, but Barnhill is not against the group. He joined the WCTA four years ago because he felt they were moving in the right direction in watching government spending to protect all taxpayers.
?Every taxpayer needs to be represented,? said Barnhill.
Barnhill said he appreciated those efforts and ?doesn?t mind the scrutiny.? He only wants the communication between taxing authorities and the WCTA to improve.
?I hope in the future we can share issues better,? he said. ?Before we get a grade.?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
The Florida SOH program has been around for well over a decade. It wasn't an issue until just recently as a result of investulors running the cost of housing up into the stratosphere. All the backslapping, deal making and whoo-ha is over and NOW they're concerned. <cue the tiny violins>

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Set aside the thought of "investors" and it is not a novel idea for one to be concerned where and how their tax dollars are being spent.

I live in a County that has experienced tremendous growth over the past 13 years due to the proximity to the city and at that time homes were more affordable for families starting out. Now after people multiplying like rabbits. there are lots more children in the schools. The County has become one of the most expensive to buy in in the nation, and this year alone my taxes have gone up 21%. About 60-65% of my tax dollars goes to schools. They also had big school budget cut backs, so many fundraisers have been being promoted. I just got invited to a brunch with Santa that was $23 a head. For eggs and bacon. :blink: What was it for you ask? So that the kindergarten children could have a yearbook. :shock: Maybe I am getting old, but in my day, a school picture was sufficient and my parents PAID for it. Apparently my tax dollars over the years has been paying for this and some other IMO ridiculous things not related to improving a child's learning experience.

I am all for education, building better, safer roads and infrastructures, maintaining the environment etc., but if I pay taxes somewhere, I have a right to know how my money is being spent, especially if I am forced to forfeit my right to vote for people who are making the decisions.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Set aside the thought of "investors" and it is not a novel idea for one to be concerned where and how their tax dollars are being spent.

I am all for education, building better, safer roads and infrastructures, maintaining the environment etc., but if I pay taxes somewhere, I have a right to know how my money is being spent, especially if I am forced to forfeit my right to vote for people who are making the decisions.

Isn't that SOP for any US citizen who owns property in a state other than their declared state of residence? As far as I know, no other state allows a non-resident to vote in their elections--but it seem to be more of an issue in Florida.

(There is a solution, but it seems that some folks just don't want to commit to declaring FLA as their state of residence. Don't know why....there's no income tax, the weather is wonderful, the beaches are great, we've got tons of jobs...what's the problem? :dunno: )

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
Isn't that SOP for any US citizen who owns property in a state other than their declared state of residence? As far as I know, no other state allows a non-resident to vote in their elections--but it seem to be more of an issue in Florida.

(There is a solution, but it seems that some folks just don't want to commit to declaring FLA as their state of residence. Don't know why....there's no income tax, the weather is wonderful, the beaches are great, we've got tons of jobs...what's the problem? :dunno: )

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would be more than happy to benefit from the SOH program, dip my tootsies in the sand everyday, and bask in SoWal's beauty, but my family won't move, so if you would like me as your neighbor, feel free to come and talk them into it.
You make a good argument. ;-)

I think you may find this interesting to watch and see how this goes
Maryland: Bill would allow non-residents to vote in some vacation towns

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I think you may find this interesting to watch and see how this goes
Maryland: Bill would allow non-residents to vote in some vacation towns

Yeah...right...., about as interesting as watching paint dry....

....the politicos who need to act to push this bill through come from other areas of Maryland where they've gotta care what the real residents have to say. I don't think their constituents will take too kindly to elected officials reliquishing control of a portion of the Great State of Maryland resulting in a situation where their fellow statesmen will be at the mercy of a bunch of condo owners from New Jersey, Philly, and Wash D.C.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
Yeah...right...., about as interesting as watching paint dry....

....the politicos who need to act to push this bill through come from other areas of Maryland where they've gotta care what the real residents have to say. I don't think their constituents will take too kindly to elected officials reliquishing control of a portion of the Great State of Maryland resulting in a situation where their fellow statesmen will be at the mercy of a bunch of condo owners from New Jersey, Philly, and Wash D.C.

You would be surprised how many real residents of Maryland, particularly Frederick County due to proximity to DC , own property in Ocean City. They pay taxes on things Ocean City residents do not, like school tax, emergency taxes etc. The councils are even allowed to have closed secret meetings. The same people who allowed all the condos to be built. :blink: There are 2600 residents and 32000 non residents there. Residents also have a cap on taxes similar to SOH.

IMO, Taxation without Representation is unfair anywhere.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You would be surprised how many real residents of Maryland, particularly Fredericksburg County due to proximity to DC , own property in Ocean City. They pay taxes on things Ocean City residents do not, like school tax, emergency taxes etc. The councils are even allowed to have closed secret meetings. The same people who allowed all the condos to be built. :blink: There are 2600 residents and 32000 non residents there. Residents also have a cap on taxes similar to SOH.

IMO, Taxation without Representation is unfair anywhere.
What about sales taxes one might pay when buying in another state, or gas taxes in other states, when you fill up as you are driving through?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
What about sales taxes one might pay when buying in another state, or gas taxes in other states, when you fill up as you are driving through?

:roll: You know I meant real estate taxes and any bull tax that a non-resident pays smartiepants. Now I am going to play Simpsons snowball fight.;-) The taxes you are talking about everyone pays.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
:roll: You know I meant real estate taxes and any bull tax that a non-resident pays smartiepants. Now I am going to play Simpsons snowball fight.;-) The taxes you are talking about everyone pays.
I wasn't trying to be a smartypants. :blush: Just seeing exactly how literal you meant your statement to be.