• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'd settle for the rental companies providing helmets for anyone under 16 per Florida Law...................and following the traffic/speed limit laws as they deliver the bikes.

Last edited:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It wouldn't hurt for the business renting the bikes to give a two minute speil on safe biking and the "Florida" biking rules. It won't reach everyone but it would reach more than just not saying anything.

So true...If I was a business owner of a rental service I would have them also sign something saying they read and understood it. This problem has gone on for the past 15-20 years...not as bad as the past few years, but locals have talked and talked about this. Every year it's a major discussion. At one time someone threw out the idea of a road being constructed around Seaside for locals. Some (as you can imagine) did not like this idea. No matter how many signs are up telling people the rules, or how few vendors or cars are on 30A.....adults and kids totally believe they can cross 30A without looking, without thinking and with absolutely no regard for vehicles that are driving up and down 30A.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard, "It's going to take someone getting run over before anything is done." Well, now that it's happened, what can we do about it?

I hope in the future there will be less talk and more action. For anything to work it has to be a commitment from not just one, but all communities along the stretch of 30A Paradise.

So glad to hear this young man is alive and on his way to recovery.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
We can (and undoubtedly will :D) debate this issue ad infinitum, but the bottom line is this: until the "vacation mindset" changes, no amount of signage, pamphlets, lectures or even - God forbid - accidents will make a dang bit of difference. With the exception of that child's family, that accident, I'd bet, is considered a fluke by guests whose radar screens it even registers on - on par with being attacked by a shark while swimming in the gulf. "Not gonna happen to me or my kid."

About the only thing I think we have a shot with is fining parents for kids under 16 not wearing helmets. Even that's a stretch, depending upon how the fines are legally able to be collected. I'm fairly certain the bike rental agencies do have something in their rental agreements about the helmet law, but they have no way to enforce it (I'm not even sure that they all require helmets actually go out with the bikes.)

30A is a HIGHWAY! It happens to run along a stretch of the most gorgeous beaches in the world, but it's still a HIGHWAY. Where else would any semi-rational being step out onto a HIGHWAY without a second thought? It's the mindset.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
So true...If I was a business owner of a rental service I would have them also sign something saying they read and understood it.

The problem with this is that the rental companies then become liable if one of their customers did not receive the biking rules instructions and has an accident.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't want to create a whole bunch of extra work and liability for the bike rental companies - just make folks safer.

Until goodwitch told us, I didn't even know Florida had a bike helmet law, so I can't fault tourists for not knowing.

DO wonder exactly how they have been renting out kids bikes w/o the safety equipment required by law and it hasn't been an issue. Like a rental car w/o seatbelts.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
The problem with this is that the rental companies then become liable if one of their customers did not receive the biking rules instructions and has an accident.

if the law is followed strictly, they are liable now if they rent to someone who does not produce a helmet, or rent a helmet as part of the bike rental.(See my post above: 16)(a) A person may not knowingly rent or lease any bicycle to be ridden by a child who is under the age of 16 years unless: 1. The child possesses a bicycle helmet; or 2. The lessor provides a bicycle helmet for the child to wear. ) But, not all the bikes being ridden are rented ones; many tourists bring their bikes with them.

parents definitely need to pay more attention to their kids--and be sure they know the rules: no reason not to wear a helmet; no reason not to know the traffic rules; no reason not to look both ways before crossing a street; no reason not to use the crosswalk...but in my experience in the last few days, the adults are just as guilty of not paying attention as the children are.:bang:

No matter what, accidents will happen, even with the best of instruction and watchfulness, but surely it would cut down on accidents and injuries if parents did more to educate and discipline.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Another way to educate tourists (though it's not only tourists who don't follow safety rules), is to put friendly, informative notices in rental units. I have information about the beach flag system and turtle/beach care in frames in our rental cottages for guests to read (the bathroom is a great place to ensure that people read this stuff - also, putting it in bathrooms kids use is helpful, too, because they can remind their parents).

So, if we were to design a simple and effective bike/road safety notice for rentals, what would it say? Maybe there's a brochure already out there somewhere that we could frame? I think guests appreciate this kind of reminder. Even if everyone doesn't follow the guidelines, at least a few more will. It would be nice if someone could pull together an "artsy" "beachy" sign so that it looks friendly rather than stern.

For example:

We want you to have a happy, relaxing and safe vacation. So, here's a friendly reminder of general safety rules:

1. Be careful when crossing the street and remind your children to look both ways as well, whether walking or on a bike.

2. Wear helmets when biking. Helmets are required for children 16 and under.

3. When at a crosswalk with lights, follow the rules (e.g., don't walk across the street when the light is red).

4. Drive cautiously because you may not be familiar with the roads. You need to be alert because pedestrians, bicyclists, and people driving golf carts may not always follow the safety rules.

5. Follow the beach safety rules.

6. Watch your children at the pool at all times, and don't let them wander off out of sight while on vacation (especially if there's a pool nearby). Keep the pool gate closed at all times.

7. Be aware of fire safety, especially when using the grill.

We wish you a happy and safe vacation.

Last edited:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
This "Vacation Mindset" I recognize, as I see it everyday, but I do not understand why adults leave common sense,total regard for their child's safety and respect for the safety of others at home.

I'd like to hear if others on SoWal throw caution to the wind when they go on vacation. I know when I go I try to be more cautious then at home. New places, new streets, lots of people automatically add up to an accident waiting to happen. That doesn't stop the fun.......all it takes is a little common sense and for parents/adults to be role models while teaching their kids and other children who may be vacationing with them.

Maybe a bumper sticker would help...... instead of using it on cars, just slap it on everyone's back as you pass them, You know like the sticky that says "Kick Me."

Sorry :blush: I just hate to see children of any age at the edge of danger.