• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

irish9697

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
We seem to always plan beach trips on weeks following major hurricanes in the Gulf. We had to cancel for the week immediately following Ivan last September. We were down there the week after Dennis this July. And, now, we'd planned to spend Labor Day weekend down there. But, tell me the truth...should we come? I ask this because I can't seem to come up with the correct moral, ethical and personal decision. On the one hand, the central Gulf Coast has been devestated. Rescue crews are on their way. I feel bad gallavanting on the beach while they are in misery. Not to mention, possibly clogging up their routes home (we do 78 to Birmingham, 65 to Montgomery, down to Troy and then small roads into Ponce de Leon and into town). But, at the same time, Labor Day weekend is a huge tourism weekend, and if we and others stay away from areas of the Gulf that weren't damaged, we're only aiding the vicious cycle of loss by not putting our dollars into the areas that have been so hard-hit recently.

So, what to do? Do we come? Do we not come? The weather is supposed to be beautiful. Today is our 8th anniversary. My husband just received news he passed the CFA exam. This was very much going to be a celebratory trip. We do want beach access, so I hope that is no problem, since we have a 4 and 5 year old who "need" the beach.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

edited to add: We have many friends in the New Orleans area who have family in all of the areas. Many of them are clinging to the phone waiting for info. We donated to the Red Cross relief fund this morning, and I am also looking for a relief fund for animal rescue...I saw a link to Noah's Wish, but want to be sure my money goes to the rescue following Katrina...

Last edited:

aroberts

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Please come. Remember our local economy has taken a huge hit in the last 2 years. Each person that comes and enjoys the beaches, spends dining and service dollars helps our economy.

Don't discount the power of your tourist dollars in our area. The local service people depend on it and your sales tax dollars help contribute to our clean up efforts and beach preservation.

Not to mention the weather is here...wish you were...............

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Happy Anniversary. :clap_1: Celebration is an important part of life. Enjoy yourself when you can. There will be lots of people gallavanting here this weekend. I will be one of them. :D

lamom

Beach Crab
Aug 29, 2005
We plan to come! But the following weekend. That's why I am still desperately seeking info on accomodations and their condition. Since we can't head to Gulf Shores, I need to make reservations quickly. How are the following: Inn @ Blue Mountain; Dunes of SG ; Monterey; Tranquility. Those are just a few I have been browsing that have availability. We need 2-3 bedrooms and gulf-front. The pool also needs to be in operation! : o ) Any help appreciated and am open to other condo suggestions since some of you have seen them- as we will be wandering blind so to speak when heading down that way.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If I were you, I would come to the Beach. Most rebuilt accesses are still here. Keep in mind, most have not been rebuilt since Dennis, so you may find yourself driving to an access anyway. Be careful when walking on the beach. Although there does not appear to be much debris, you never know what lies just beneath the surface. Skies are clearing a bit today, and I see spots of blue sky when the wind is not pushing clouds by. The Gulf is still a bit shaken and rough, so don't be expected the emerald color water just yet. Everything is open in our area, and waiting for your arrival. Most units damaged from Hurr. Dennis, are still damaged. Most other units should be fine.

Come on down.:D

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
For those in the know....

Assuming there is no other storms out in the gulf, how long will it take for the surf to settle down...days...weeks???

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wintersbk said:
For those in the know....

Assuming there is no other storms out in the gulf, how ling will it take for the surf to settle down...days...weeks???

This storm is so big that we may not have anyone in the know, who actually knows. On Monday, I heard that Katrina was 1,000 miles long from North to South. WOW! The Gulf looks as ferocious today as yesterday, although it has receded a bit.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Well, we're driving down from Indianapolis and Katrina is not going to stop us! And even though the official line is "we are renovating the condo" the unofficial line is that Mermaid and husband are going to be gallivanting with the rest of them! :razz: :razz:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Forgot to add, it's pouring cats and dogs here today, the wind is up, and we've had limbs down and spotty flooding in low areas. I daresay it's Katrina's fault and the weather is probably a lot nicer on 30-A!

One issue is, when will the beach re-open?

We rebuilt our walkover the Saturday after Hurricane Dennis. We heard that it had some damage, but I don't know if it just involves replacing a few treads or is more structural. SJ is right - most beach walkovers still haven't been rebuilt since Dennis, so that's something that people have had to deal with since mid-July.

Our place is available for rent after Labor Day, and it has 4 bedrooms, 4-1/2 baths, a pool and a hot tub.

We're driving down tomorrow for a long Labor Day weekend, so I will have more info about beach conditions then.

Last edited: