• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Places like Hilton Head, with water adjacency and nice climates, are in high demand, and land values are insane. In the case of Hilton Head, which was developed in 1970 on what had been a mosquito- and alligator-infested swampy barrier island, land value has leaped from nearly zero to now unaffordable. The first batch of houses built here might have been normal-sized, but in the ten years that I’ve been coming here on occasion, I’ve seen them replaced by new ones that are enormous. About five years ago, we rented a house right on the beach that was arena-sized. We loved being right on the ocean, so we asked the owner if we could reserve time for the next year. No, he said, it wouldn’t be possible; he was tearing the house down. Why? To build a bigger one on the same lot. We saw the finished product a few years later: it looked like a house with severe edema, swollen to bursting, built to the very edge of the property line.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/susanorlean/2011/06/the-too-big-house.html#ixzz1Q16GMaCq

http://www.notsobighouse.com/

Sounds familiar. I'm a fan of not-so-big - I think McMansions are a waste of space and resources. Down here due to limited land availability it seems people build up vs. out.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Another Not So Big House fan. For me, a lot of it comes back to fit and finish- I remember new Crestview subdivisions pre-boom where they were selling 3000sf homes for about $155K including lot. And to get their profit on $50/sf, everything inside was the cheapest possible big box fixture available for purchase in multi-pack format. Call me a snob, but the typical $19 bathroom sink faucet is not aesthetically pleasing to me, and I've got my suspicions about how well it will hold up in regular use.