• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
This is the historical one; I can't really give more details on the newer one; Steeleing1 said she would post more after this weekend; I am eager to hear what has happened.

The newer program just seemed to have turned more political and partisan, I was concerned that the historical significance was being lost.....maybe not, though. I think there must be two competing groups....

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Real appears to be a misnomer since it appears the a Chautauqua was founded in Feb. 1885, and eventually expired. The "new" one seems to have been reborn in July 1993, and the "real" one has it's bylaws adopted on 5/27/2007. You can see where I'm a little confused.

Pumpkin-22

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Outskirts of Destin
I'm looking forward to this, especially the red carpet presentation of Frank Capra's "It Happened One Night" at the Chautauqua Theater.

Lane Rees

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2006
Dear Goodwitch 58,

Not sure how you define "real" and will provide some factual information on Chautauqua.

Diane Picket renewed the event starting in 1976 in DeFuniak Springs. The originial event was started Feb. 10, 1885 lasting for 36 years until closing in 1920. This is the Chautauqua that was held Jan. 31-Feb 2, 2008 in DeFuniak marking it 13 year in a row.

One can go to their web site: www.florida-chautauqua-center.org and learn the following information:

"The Florida Chautauqua Assembly was officially brought back to life by Ms. Pickett on February 10, 1996, after a hiatus of more than 75 years. Much like the original Assembly, the lecture topics for the current Assembly include history, health, art, and current events, to name a few, along with entertainment from performers across the country. Special evening vespers are also held on the Lake in much the same way they were more than 100 years ago. It is Ms. Pickett’s goal to return the Florida Chautauqua to its original 9-week program, drawing attendees from throughout the entire US. Given her success thus far, it appears that her goals are both realistic and achievable."

"The Florida Chautauqua Assembly and its related events are presented under the auspices of the Florida Chautauqua Center, Inc., a 501(c)(3) Florida-based corporation established in July 1993 for the sole purpose of reviving, promoting, and sustaining the original Florida Chautauqua."

Last year after the close of the above Assembly, Ann Robinson and others formed the new group and you can read about it at floridachautauqua.org The bylaws for this group are dated May 27, 2007 so one can tell by the dates which one was started first.

MattChrist Live

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2008
The Bay
Ms. Ann Robinson will be my guest tomorrow on 30A Radio's Matt Christ Live, 11-noon. Tune in Sunday on 107.1 FM or online live, at 30aradio.org

I think what goodwitch means by "real" is that in her opinion (and mine, for that matter) the most recently founded Chautauqua Assembly is more in line with the vision the original Chautauqua founders had for the Assembly so many years ago.
Ms. Robinson and those who founded this Chautauqua had been a part of the Assembly founded by Ms. Pickett and apparently felt there was a need for change. I look forward to being a part of it.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I think what goodwitch means by "real" is that in her opinion (and mine, for that matter) the most recently founded Chautauqua Assembly is more in line with the vision the original Chautauqua founders had for the Assembly so many years ago.
Ms. Robinson and those who founded this Chautauqua had been a part of the Assembly founded by Ms. Pickett and apparently felt there was a need for change. I look forward to being a part of it.

Thanks Steeleing1..that is exactly what I meant. I am quite familiar with the New York Chautauqua and the Winter Assembly in DFS, and the revival Diane Pickett did originally...what I am confused by is that now there are apparently two groups...and the one that met Feb 1 does not appear to represent the historical "real" vision.

I am pleased to see Ms. Robinson has continued the historical approach...not sure what the other group is about...the program certainly did not seem to reflect the original intent.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
Diane revived the Chautauqua, retired, handed it over to Ann, wasn't happy with how it was being ran so began a new one.

That's according to numerous DeFuniak newspaper articles last year.

My personal preferance is for Ann's Chautauqa. I'm sure Diane's is good as well, but havent attended.