The Red Bar: Photos Stories Memories

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by Teresa, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Watch the Red Bar rebuild on the SoWal live Red Bar Webcam >>

FB_IMG_1550195481784.jpg

The Red Bar just celebrated its 24th anniversary in downtown Grayton Beach Florida the way it always does on Super Bowl Sunday with jello shots and music by Hubba Hubba. I am not sure how many years the old Grayton store building has existed before it became home of Redbar.

FB_IMG_1550250411813.jpg

The Red Bar burned to the ground on the morning of February 13 in a pre-dawn fire. The news has been heartbreaking for so many people. The response has been overwhelming by those who have experienced many life memories here over the years. We feel a bond. Ownership. Grief. Because of a place where we have gathered with friends and family many times over many years.

I've even read posts by people who have never visited who can't wait to visit the rebuilt Redbar.

FB_IMG_1550331695339.jpg

Owner Oli Petit put out a statement that he plans to rebuild right away to the exact specs as the original building with perhaps nicer bathrooms. He says: Life goes on. And he's so right.

Some say it can't be replicated. It will never be the same. Well I am grateful. That no one was hurt. That we had this place for so long. That it was cherished by so many people. That it holds so many memories and dreams. I don't know what a new Redbar will be like. We will see sooner rather than later. It will be a work of art for sure. It will honor our memories and capture our hearts with great food, music, drinks, fun and funk.

Meanwhile. We have stories to tell and photos to share. They are everywhere online as Redbar lovers express their support for this unique little bar in our historic beach town. Let's share them here in the SoWal Community Forums where we have always told our stories.

One thing is for sure. The Red Bar belongs to the community. She is all of us. We have a stake in her future.

FB_IMG_1550196323405.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
  2. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

I spent a year there one night. :drink:

3. Teresa

logo-redbar-100.png

If you haven't visited theredbar.com in a while the website is basically an extensive photo gallery of Redbar images and people and memories from over the years.

4. Teresa

FB_IMG_1550195695399.jpg

5. Teresa

DREAD CLAMPITT
    Facebook post 2/14/2019

Thank you Oliver Petit for giving us a shot to play there on a lonely Sunday brunch in 2002. We are grateful to have had the opportunity to play music there for 17 years and blessed to be a part of the Red Bar Family.

Our hearts go out to all the employees, The Red Bar Jazz band and the entire Petit family.

Reflecting on all those years, we’re reminded of all the love that we’ve shared together at The Red Bar . We want to thank our fans, our family and friends, who’ve grown WITH us and shared all those memories together.

We became a band on that Red Bar stage.
    We will keep playing and when they rebuild you will hear us on that stage once again.

These pictures are from one of our first Sunday brunches, meeting & jamming with Heroes, Justin Price-rees getting his green card for extraordinary ability and playing with Kenny Oliverio and John Reinlie.

FB_IMG_1550351938241.jpg
    FB_IMG_1550351967692.jpg
    FB_IMG_1550351953275.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2019
  6. Teresa

FB_IMG_1550196183925.jpg

7. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

So many good times!

8. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

I was there on 9/11 eating lunch and watching the twin towers coming downl

9. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Where will Beach goers go to the bathroom? They should set up some Porta potties, grills and coolers once the lot is cleaned up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

I recall being there for one of the first few Super Bowl Sundays where everyone was there for The Game....until Hubba Hubba started playing.....good times. Red Bar music scene was second only to the Paneed Chicken and mashed potatoes, or the crab cake (and the Citrus Bure Blanc salad!). Loved the Red Bar Band, Dread Clampitt, and Duke Bardwell (and friends and family)! Thanks to Oli and the Red Bar family for great meals and memories past, and for those to come.

11. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Anyone else dance on a table at midnight?

12. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I'm not sure...

13. Teresa

Post by Rene today:

When you start day 1 of clean up and uncover this in the rubble. Who needs a phoenix when your angels are watching ❤️#redbarstrong #timetorebuild

FB_IMG_1551396210285.jpg

14. Teresa

A wonderful story by Bruce Collier at Beachcomber Destin ..

Beachcomber

A Bientôt The Red Bar…
    Published on February 28, 2019

[​IMG]

By Bruce Collier

In the early hours of the morning of February 13, a fire destroyed The Red Bar in Grayton Beach. The event made national news.

The Red Bar was here when I moved to this area, in the latter part of the ‘90s. It reportedly opened 24 years ago (on Super Bowl Sunday), so it hadn’t been open that long when I got here. Still, the first time I went there (for lunch), it already had the look of a permanent institution.

It might have been the decor. Pretty much every square inch inside was painted, postered, embellished or hung with a near-indescribable collection of classic and pop art. There were posters of sports (especially soccer), movies (foreign films, or American films with foreign titles) concerts (from jazz to opera) and photos of the famous, the infamous, and the just plain unidentified. In between were album covers, framed artwork, frameless local artwork, carvings, and just interesting stuff. Like the Louvre, it could not be appreciated fully in one or two visits. You had to see it, study it. I hope you did, because that stuff is gone.

That’s the worst part—stuff is gone. Walls, roof, kitchen, furnishings, inventory.

The good part…no, the good parts are many. Most important, no one died, or was injured. Also intact are the memories of great meals, terrific music, and houses packed like subway cars. The Grayton Beach neighborhood’s limited parking brought out the stalking skills and territoriality of an African lioness in otherwise docile tourists.

I used to know the menu by heart, and I’ve tried everything they make. My favorites are the panne chicken, blackened grouper with bacon cheddar grit cake, grilled fish sandwich, and those incomparable weekend-only crab cakes with citrus beurre blanc.

Then there’s the apple dumpling, and—occasionally—the chocolate creme brûlée. The latter always made me feel like I was on some insiders list.

It’s a testament to the management’s self-confidence that the crab cake recipe was made public years ago. Sure, now you could make the crab cakes at home, and not just on Friday and Saturday. But you’d miss Olivier, with his leading man looks and Continental manner with customers. And his brother Philippe, soccer fan (and player) discussing Highlander: The Series, at least with a fellow enthusiast like me.

And your server bringing out the blackboard menu, which she’d either prop on an empty chair, or, in the absence of any empty chairs, just stand there and hold while you made up your mind. It never took long, at least for the locals. After all, you could always come back tomorrow for what you almost got tonight.

Lunch there was a great place to talk business, or just sit around and watch others talk business while you drank beer, ate hamburgers, and studied the walls. God knows how much South Walton property was bought and sold at Red Bar; at least the lunches were sensibly priced.

And the music. Brunch with music there was likened to a religious experience (Church of Bloody Mary?). When Dread Clampitt was playing, even beach mice couldn’t squeeze in. The place was consistently voted Best Bar for Music on any number of area polls.

That said, this isn’t meant to be a eulogy. That’s for the dead and gone, not the temporarily absent. I can’t count all the restaurants, bars and dining establishments that have come, dazzled, fizzled and vanished without a trace in this area. There are buildings that have housed as many as six brilliant-on-paper ideas for dining, all of which crashed and burned. Other buildings were simply torn down to be replaced by unattainable housing. The Red Bar building itself housed several previous businesses.

So this is not Farewell, Red Bar. It’s more a bientôt(“see you soon”) because within days of the loss, Oli Petit went on the record, saying: “I want to tell our patrons and my staff that we will be back, and we will rebuild to the exact previous specifications—maybe with a better bathroom. Life goes on.”

Do we really want a better bathroom? I mean, wasn’t queuing up to use the potty—placed strategically within a few paces of the bar—an essential part of the Red Bar experience? How many friendships were begun, how many business deals were refined, how many SoWal dynasties were founded, outside the door of the Red Bar loo? Just saying.

As for the rebuild—Amen, Make it So.

15. Teresa

FB_IMG_1552053553673.jpg
    Oli Petit
    March 8 2019
    Grayton Beach Florida

16. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

190306-grayton-401-sowal-2000.jpg

17. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member