• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Anyone noticed this new county vehicle? It's a dark gray chevy or ford SUV I think. Looks normal generally but it has all the embedded police lights on it that show up when they turn them on. I've seen this thing out on 98 handing out tickets left and right. Curious why the sheriff felt we needed something like that (and where the money came from.)

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I think I saw that vehicle on 30-A around Rosemary/Seacrest in mid March. I think such vehicles should be used more for drug/crime interdiction and not routine traffic enforcement. It has become too easy for weirdoes to get a plain jane Tahoe/Impala/Charger/Crown Vic and imbed some flashing lights here and there and play dirty cop.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
More than likely the total cost was prosecuting the drug dealer who used to drive it and buying the lights. The Bay County Sheriff drives a Lincoln SUV that was obtained the same way.

In fact the lights were paid for with seized drug money.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Our SO has had undercover/unmarked vehicles for years. Maybe this is the first time you have ever noticed one. As for why?? If he has been giving out tickets it is obvious that people dont hesitate to race down 98, passing everyone including some random SUV, at high rates of speed that endanger all of us. Glad to see it is earning its keep and slowing folks down some.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Maybe the State should outlaw these like the redlight cameras. Where is Jimmy Patronis and some of the other Legislators when you need them. :sarc: Although I hate getting tickets the redlight cameras and unmarked vehicles have their place.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
And while its main purpose MIGHT be for drug offenses, I dont think any of our deputies will hesitate to do something about someone breaking the law, whether they be in a marked vehicle or not. And "reckless driving" (15mph over the posted limit) happens on a regular basis on 98 and is not that uncommon on other roads including 30A.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I take issue with inconsistent police actions. I'm on 98 on a very regular basis and one day will witness police angrily jack their vehicle around me going at least 60 in a 45 and the next day be pulling over someone else for driving the same speed they were. I see it often.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am fine with a trained officer in a marked squad car speeding.

It's usually pretty important that they get where they are going fast IMO.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I am fine with a trained officer in a marked squad car speeding.

It's usually pretty important that they get where they are going fast IMO.

I've seen this vehicle with lights ablaze headed down 98 for some emergency, and I'm not convinced people can easily recognize it as a emergency vehicle. I'd hate to see that thing cruise through a red light and get broad sided because someone didn't noticed the flashing lights behind the grill and windshield.

Independent of that, this brings up an interesting question, how much revenue does the sheriff generate from tickets in Walton County, and where does that money go? Does the revenue feed into the sheriff?s budget or back to the county? If it feeds right into the sheriff?s budget, it may create a conflict of interest.