• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The teachers were told this Thursday, district-wide, that effective immediately:
1. No substitutes are allowed, teachers will be required to cover absent teacher's classes during duty/planning periods.
2. All supplements are cut 10%
3. Bus drivers will no longer be compensated for driving students to after-school events. Coaches/teachers will be required to drive for their trips.
4. Teachers will no longer receive per diem for out-of-town training.

Budget cuts were the explanation given.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
If you were short a million dollars because of a screw up, would you not expect budget cuts to compensate for it?

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Sure cuts are necessary, but, is it wise to cut the workers who are providing the service and making cuts that will harm the product ( education) instead of cutting administrative costs or reducing overhead in areas not directly related to the mission execution? Apply those types of cuts to the fire service. Would they be wise or would you favor them? Also consider that a couple of these items will bring the district in violation of their contract with the teachers. Would you accept a unilateral change to the fire contract?

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Word is that the WCSD forgot to budget for Seacoast High teachers and that is the reason for the shortfall. Oops - you mean we have to pay everyone on our payroll? :bang:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I think we should all re-cycle the garbage.

Vote Charlene Anderson! :thanks:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Sure cuts are necessary, but, is it wise to cut the workers who are providing the service and making cuts that will harm the product ( education) instead of cutting administrative costs or reducing overhead in areas not directly related to the mission execution? Apply those types of cuts to the fire service. Would they be wise or would you favor them? Also consider that a couple of these items will bring the district in violation of their contract with the teachers. Would you accept a unilateral change to the fire contract?
I would think not with out some negotiations. I would be curious to know if any of those in management are also taking any type of hit? I also understand, as the labor force is the largest part of the budget, where is it you would suggest they cut that the saving could be achieved? I still support our teachers and support staff and would be interested in seeing what ideas for solutions they have. Unfortunately Danny you make it seem that this would not have happened if the votes had been different, but without solutions or options I think it is ridiculous to think there won't have to be a blended approach to this problem to fix it. I would also be curious to know if this may have been an ULP because those in management probably knew there was going to be a shortfall and seems to even have mentioned it a couple times about state mandated reserves.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
3. Bus drivers will no longer be compensated for driving students to after-school events. Coaches/teachers will be required to drive for their trips.

Wouldn't this require teachers/coaches to be CDL certified?

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I agree, that if a teacher is a sponsor for club or a coach for sports and they can't get licensed then what happens?