• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Stopped in The Hurricane Oyster Bar Friday for happy hour. I'm glad I only ordered one dozen on the half shell. Not only had the price over doubled to eleven bucks , the oyster were horrible. Absolutely no salinity and no taste at all. I could not eat them all because they were so bad, I even had minor stomach issues afterwords. The waitress said they had changed suppliers. I've always enjoyed visiting them, but if this is the type product they intend to sell, I'm not sure I'll be going back. If any of the management staff had tasted the oysters, they would have known they were not fit for consumption. Hope the find a better supply source and management will do better quality checks before ripping off a customer with a lousy product.

Last edited:

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
I'm in no way associated with The Hurricane Oyster Bar, but you can't really fault this restaurant. The sure, steady supply of oysters from Apalachicola Bay has been severely disrupted that last two seasons. Cause? Mainly less fresh water inflows from the river system feeding the bay. Why? Atlanta residents, Georgia farmers, and Alabama power plants are taking more water from the river system.

I do communicate with many restaurants along the coast. They are having major challenges, daily, getting quality oysters. Some are coming from Texas, Louisiana, other places. When you consider for years that 95% of the oysters eaten in our area came from Apalachicola, you can now see that it's most likely not this restaurant's fault.

For more info, please check out this article: http://www.circleofblue.org/waterne...nsifies-water-battle-with-george-and-alabama/

And let's call our friends in Atlanta and ask them chill out on watering their yards so much. :)

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I'm in no way associated with The Hurricane Oyster Bar, but you can't really fault this restaurant. The sure, steady supply of oysters from Apalachicola Bay has been severely disrupted that last two seasons. Cause? Mainly less fresh water inflows from the river system feeding the bay. Why? Atlanta residents, Georgia farmers, and Alabama power plants are taking more water from the river system.

I do communicate with many restaurants along the coast. They are having major challenges, daily, getting quality oysters. Some are coming from Texas, Louisiana, other places. When you consider for years that 95% of the oysters eaten in our area came from Apalachicola, you can now see that it's most likely not this restaurant's fault.

For more info, please check out this article: http://www.circleofblue.org/waterne...nsifies-water-battle-with-george-and-alabama/

And let's call our friends in Atlanta and ask them chill out on watering their yards so much. :)

I'm fully aware of the "water wars". I fully agree Atlanta crackers should not be allowed to water their lawns from the body of water that feeds Apalachicola. Our area often gets oysters from other areas. The waiter said the oysters I received were from Louisiana. I've eaten both Louisiana and Texas oysters before, and they were fine. The oysters I received had no taste period. When an oyster has zero saltiness I am skeptical of eating them because of the potential bacterial levels in the body of water they were harvested from. I'm not trying to slam Hurricane Oyster Bar because I always enjoy the place and the oysters, but my last visit was a horrible experience.

Chris

Beach Comber
Nov 16, 2004
Not sure what happened wiht your expeeriencebut had some guest in this week that bragged on the quality of the Oysters this weekend.

Hurricane

Beach Lover
Hurricane Management

Independent Thinker,

It's unfortunate to here that you had a bad experience with us on your last visit. In no way are we ever out to rip anyone off or make our customers feel that they didn't receive value for the money spent with us. We appreciate everyone that comes to enjoy our establishment and take pride in providing the best service, food quality and dining experience possible. We haven't changed suppliers ever and I guarantee that we get the freshest most local product that we can if not we send it back. We use the same company that supplies the majority of the restaurants from Appalachicola to Pensacola. The price we sell them for almost doubled because the price we pay for them has doubled the oyster industry is very unstable right now and supply and demand has driven prices up tremendously. When prices go back down we will decrease our prices accordingly. The Oysters you had were from Louisianna The ones we just Received are from Texas and the Ones in June will be Florida. I wish you would have asked for a manager when you had this problem so that we could have taken it off your bill, got you something else to eat and explained why the prices are the way they are. We try and educate our staff on all of these things so they can be informative to our guests. Obviously the server that you had wasn't completely aware of the ins and outs of why the prices have gone up but what you were told wasn't the correct reason. We'd be more than happy to give you a refund for oysters that you didn't enjoy and would be more than happy to explain more of why our prices have gone up on oysters if you'd like.Please ask for Kevin or David and we'd love to sit and talk to you.

Thanks for your feedback we will use it as a tool to improve our business.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hurricane thank you for responding in a polite and professional manner.

Independent Thinker, you say in your second post you don't want to slam the business. Yet in your first post you ripped them to shreds.

We had some oysters recently at another place that weren't up to snuff and politely asked the server to take them back, she did so without hesitation and of course didn't charge us. We'll go back!

Last edited:

sadie1

Beach Lover
May 31, 2009
I have to agree. you said you've been many times and like the place yet you get one bad item and act like they're the
worst.They got a bad batch of oysters that's not there fault. All you had to do is send back and order something else.I've
been to hurricaines a few times and like there food with no bad experiences.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
I personally don't eat oysters but we took my sister who lives in France to Hurricane and she said that the oysters were the best she's ever had. Hubby and I had an excellent piece of grouper last year at Hurricane ... it was so fresh and just melted in your mouth. We love the place.

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Everybody has an opinion, I gave mine. I told the waiter the oysters were not good, she took the platter away with several oysters still on it. She made no offer of not charging me or offering anything else. So, I don't think I'm being unfair.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've had tons of great oysters at hurricanes! Really good fish, shrimp, burgers, and the good kind of fries (plain, uncoated, makes me happy cause they are becoming scarce). Love the daily specials too.

It is disappointing to get a platter of raw oysters without the wonderful flavors of the sea and it happens at any place on occasion. (I just send em back and tell them why... And plainly ask for the charge to be removed).

Last edited: