There's nothing better than waking up in SoWal!!!

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by MonicaQA, Jul 24, 2011.

1. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

We arrived last night (after much rain & many accidents & stand still traffic.) Woke up in heaven, though! :) Getting some groceries, then heading out to the beach. Staying in a new place this year, & the house is so nice, with that perfect beachy feel! I'll try to post as we go! Have a great day, SoWallers!

2. DD

DD SoWal Expert

This could have been my post from last weekend. LOL!! Get out of that store and hit the beach!!!

3. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

Beautiful day at the beach, seagrass and all! Sun, surf & Frozen Pomegranate Margaritas!! No major sunburns, great success!!:D

Now we're getting ready for a dinner of Grilled Margarita Chicken, Grilled Corn with Lime Butter with cilantro & cayenne, and some Spanish Rice. Also, Watermelon Mojitos!

4. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Yippee!!!

5. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

6. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

Tuesday:
    Forgot to mention that we had some Angelina's pizza the first night & the supreme was delicious! Since it was raining yesterday, we shopped in PCB @ Pier Park & then had lunch @ Shades on the way back to 30-A. The wings were good & the Chicken Jalapeno Wraps were loved by the others in the group. That evening, the guys grilled some New York Strips (so good), & we made baked potatoes & salad for dinner. No "fun cocktails" that night, just beer! ;) Dessert was Brownies & Ice Cream. After dinner we played Buzz Word, in which the Sirens(girls) beat the Spitting Cobras(guys) once again! Fun day, despite the rain!

7. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Monica, I should have waited and come with you!! Good reports!!

8. CastlesOfSand

Love your report! I love Angelina's pizza!! We usually order it out the night of our arrival so no one has to shop for groceries or cook until the next day! Have you tried the new Grayton Beer yet? I am going to pick some up when I get there! :D

9. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

all sounds delicious so far! keep 'em coming monica!

10. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

Wednesday brought more rain in the morning, but when it started clearing we went out to the beach. In the late afternoon, the girls did our annual Big Mama's Hula Gallery Stop & picked up a few treasures, then we stopped at the Zoo Gallery (great store with hilariously inappropriate cards), went to the Red Bar (but they were closed-hope to get back before we leave) & then had a snack at Shorty's Surfside & Topside (wonderful Fried Asparagus topped with crab & shrimp) & some VERY HOT wings (yum!) with a Pina Colada! For diner, it was a simple night: Spaghetti with ground turkey & bacon, salad, & garlic bread. Dessert was a Lemon cake one of the girls made. A couple of the guys in our group went on a fishing charter out of Destin & caught a bunch Mahi-Mahi & some Milo (?) that we will be eating tonight along with our steamed shrimp from Goatfeathers (LOVE that!) The rain has not interrupted our fun, & the times it was very heavy it's been nice to just relax. Have a great day!

11. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

We had decided on pizza the first night because of the same reasons-too much rushing around!! Hadn't heard about the beer! I'll have to make a run to Publix! Thanks!

P.S. Maybe I'll still be here when you come down-I told my family that I'm NOT going back this year. Don't know where I'll live or what I'll do, but I don't want to leave!!!:nono1:

12. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

DD, I want to have a SoWal Forum Bash! Everyone come down in the fall & get together with all the locals, can you imagine the fun?!?!?

:lol::rolling::floor::twisted::chill::drink::drink2::beach:

13. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Monica, I love your attitude!! I need to take a lesson.
    You are new to the board, but in the past, we did have Soirees. Do a search. Generally, they were in the spring and fall. It was too much funn and yes, I agree we need to do another one. There's some folks I'd still like to meet. Hmmmmm....I just might be there the weekend of October 22.

14. CastlesOfSand

I know! I feel the same way. I never want to leave either. It just seems like I am suppose to be there. I already told my kids when they go to college if they want to see me they will have to come visit me in Sowal. They were totally fine with that! They love it too! I bet they will be home every weekend to see me! :D

If Publix does not have the Grayton beer (which I bet they do) I know that Blue Mountain Wine and Spirits carries it. I'm sure a lot of other places do to. I think the brewery is going to be open for tours and tastings sometime in the future. Not sure if they are doing that yet.

15. CastlesOfSand

DD, I have only been to mini soirees. Next time there is a big one, I am riding with you! I have always wanted to be there for one of those!! My timing just hasn't been right yet. :wave:

16. CPort

CPort Beach Fanatic

they have grayton beer and ale at seagrove grocery

17. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

Thursday: What a day, so much fun!!! We ate a big breakfast, packed some sandwiches & snacks & headed over to St. Andrews State Park & rented a pontoon boat to go to Shell Island. It was looking pretty ominous when we headed out, but it cleared up & was beautiful! We saw a few stingrays & dolphins & got lots of shells, (I even found a whole sanddollar!) The whole familia loved it-a definite again next year! We came back to the house & grilled the mahi-mahi & mingo & topped it with a mango pico de gallo, with some rice & grilled summer squash, zucchini, & mushrooms, accompanied by Watermelon Mojitos. We hurriedly did dishes & went out for our crab hunt; it's funny how our kids are in high school & college-yet they still LOVE doing this! Tomorrow is our last full day here & we are sad; the time went even quicker than usual.
    Not sure what all we are doing tomorrow, but I'll keep you posted! Night, SoWallers!

18. CastlesOfSand

Night!! Tomorrow will be a funn day!!!

19. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Monica, a great report!!! You've enjoyed your trip to the fullest!!

20. MonicaQA

MonicaQA Beach Lover

Tonight is our seafood night out, so I need to search the SoWal Forum for the best seafood restaurant off 30-A (we don't feel like going into Destin or PCB.) Anybody want to throw out some ideas, & save me the trouble?