• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
in the gulf. Someone enlighten me please! No larger than a sweet pea blobs of clear jelly(sometimes in long strands) with some kind of tiny brown egg or larvae inside. In the water it just looks like a line of black dots...out of the water...it throbs. I couldn't find anything on the internet and it's driving me crazy!

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
in the gulf. Someone enlighten me please! No larger than a sweet pea blobs of clear jelly(sometimes in long strands) with some kind of tiny brown egg or larvae inside. In the water it just looks like a line of black dots...out of the water...it throbs. I couldn't find anything on the internet and it's driving me crazy!

Ewwwww. Sounds icky! :eek:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I emailed a biologist I know at Fish & Wildlife about these. Fish eggs, was the response.
I managed to get two of them into the palm of my hand - they are fish-shaped, and the "egg" is about where the eye ought to be.
I've seen these every June here for years, and I always thought they were probably fish eggs, but I never inquired before. I don't recall seeing them in as large amounts as this year. They gave me the willies bumping up against me yesterday when I was swimming.

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
Hey not dead yet, just jumped into the thread to look at that hilarious avatar- thanx for posting it

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
I emailed a biologist I know at Fish & Wildlife about these. Fish eggs, was the response.
I managed to get two of them into the palm of my hand - they are fish-shaped, and the "egg" is about where the eye ought to be.
I've seen these every June here for years, and I always thought they were probably fish eggs, but I never inquired before. I don't recall seeing them in as large amounts as this year. They gave me the willies bumping up against me yesterday when I was swimming.

i was hoping it was fish and not jelly...thanks!

micki

Beach Lover
May 20, 2006
Akron, Ohio
Yes, we have been seeing these every day, too. And, interestingly, it seems that they look bigger every day. I, too, am curious about what these are.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
What kind of fish?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Dunno. :dunno:
Lots of fish spawn this time of year.
Close in like this though, I am thinking probably what we refer to as "bait fish."
Yesterday I didn't see any more of the "pulsating beads on a string" - either they got moved away in the rough surf, or they morphed into the schools of tiny little fishes that I did see.
Wish I knew more. There is a lot to know!

I'm wondering- is this the same thing I was seeing in every inch of the water? I got up close and they look like brown or black clear-ish little spikes with wings/antenna things. When they are out of the water the wing things disappear and they just look like little spikes all over the beach. There was so many I got out of the water because I just knew one/many would make it in my suit :eek: