1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

To Concerned Citizens of Historic Point Washington

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Dave Rauschkolb, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

There is concern among Point Washington residents regarding a new development proposed to go in less than 100 yards from the Cornerstone Church and Cemetery in Historic Point Washington. The development is slated to be built on roughly 4 acres and the developers intend on going for 8 units per acre as well as building up four stories on all buildings. 29 units hugging a cul de sac are proposed. The Oaks At Eden will more than likely have to clear cut all the old growth oaks on the property leaving only 29, 40 foot tall buildings.

Among the concerned citizens are adjacent homeowners who live in one story homes to the north south of the property as well as numerous residents who believe building heights and densities of that intensity are clearly incompatible with historically established development in Historic Point Washington.

Historic Point Washington is one of the oldest settlements in South Walton County. The residents are concerned that developments of this high density will adversely affect property values as well as the long established rural feel of the community.

The reasonable citizens of Historic Point Washington welcome the Oaks At Eden and hope the development will enhance rather than negatively impact the community. Reasonable citizens hope the Developers will consider lowering the heights and densities to mirror the long established patterns of development in the community.

The Board of County Commissioners will review the development proposal on November 8 at the Walton County Court house in DeFuniak Springs at 4:00 p.m. Residents and property owners of Point Washington should attend if they have similar concerns.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  2. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

:sosad: That certainly does not sound compatible! Are there no restrictions on clear cutting?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  3. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Buildings of more than two stories have no business in downtown PW. Neither does clear cutting. My parents will be across the street rolling in their graves.

Is water/sewer available on 395 now? That used to be the spot of the old school (pre-Bay) in Point Washington, and Bay Elementary got their water from that well for many years. Eventually there were concerns about the well being close to the cemetery :eek: Maybe we can scare them off?

Thanks for the heads up, Dave - my son has basketball that afternoon so I'm afraid I won't make it, but hopefully as many as can will.

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

County Commissioners:

? Dist. 1 -Scott Brannon, (850) 622-3081, brascott@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 2 - Kenneth Pridgen, (850) 834-6328, prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 3 - Larry Jones (850) 892-8474, jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 4 - Ro Cuchens, (850) 835-4834 cucro@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 5 - Cindy Meadows, (850) 622-3059 meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

Dear Commissioner,
    Please count me as a concerned citizen opposed to the height and density of the proposed Oaks At Eden Development. It is completely out of character and incompatible with neighboring residential neighborhoods, and the historical pattern of development in Point Washington.

Sincerely,
    your name
    your address

Highlight the above text and click Ctrl-C (copy), click on each commissioner's e-mail address to open a new mail message for each. With your cursor in the body of the e-mail message click Ctrl-V (paste). Add your name and address and send.

THANKS!

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

...and if you can personalize it by adding to this letter, even better.

WTPhuk are these guys doing? :bang:

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If you want to also write a complaint to the owners, write to:

[size=-2]TIMOTHY L. [/size][size=-2]HENDERSON([/size]managing member of D & H DEVELOPERS & INVESTORS, L.L.C. which owns OAKS AT EDEN LLC)
    [size=-2]POST OFFICE BOX 1880
    DESTIN FL 32540

Tim also owns many other businesses in the area such as:

[/size] [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]HHH BEACHFRONT RENTALS,[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]D & H DEVELOPERS & INVESTORS, L.L.C.
    [/size] [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]JOB SITE, LLC[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]CABANAS OF SOUTH WALTON LLC[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]THE CANOPIES OF FREEPORT, L.L.C[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]HENDERSON BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION, LLC[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L.[/size][size=-2]T & L INVESTMENT DEVELOPERS, INC.[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]MOUNTAIN DRIVE OFFICE PARK OWNERS' ASSOCIATION, INC[/size] [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]T & L INVESTMENT DEVELOPERS, INC.[/size][size=-2]
    HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L.[/size][size=-2]HENDCO CONSTRUCTION INC.[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]HHH BEACHFRONT RENTALS, L.L.C.[/size][size=-2]
    HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]JOB SITE, LLC[/size][size=-2]
    HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]CABANAS OF SOUTH WALTON LLC[/size][size=-2]
    HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]HENDERSON BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION, LLC
    [/size] [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L[/size][size=-2]T & L INVESTMENT DEVELOPERS, INC.[/size]
    [size=-2]HENDERSON, TIMOTHY L.[/size][size=-2]HENDCO CONSTRUCTION INC.[/size]

Remember to shop accordingly. :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  7. Dave Rauschkolb

GREAT research Joe!

8. For The Health Of It

For The Health Of It Beach Fanatic

Dave, Joe and everyone else. Great work here, count me and rachel in to help with this. This would be a shame for all of Point Washington and for that matter all of S. walton

ed berry

9. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

The Henderson brothers (Hendco Construction) are notorious for building the lowest quality house in Destin. An ugly square box with substandard everything.

Please everyone pitch in for Dave and the rest of the locals and write a letter or e-mail.

10. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

Will do!

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Funny you say that. I was wondering what the standard Hendco house would look like stacked four high. -- Nasty

12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

I previously lived in an area where the neighborhood resident's association applied for and received "national historic district" designation. Doing so allowed us to create and enforce design guidelines for both new construction and renovation of existing property. Deed covenants make it clear to new purchasers, prior to purchase, what they will legally be held to.

The system actually works. The neighborhood became desirable, vacant lots were developed, and the new houses that were built look very appropriate to the period, style, and siting of the existing houses. Inappropriate remodeling projects stopped butchering old houses. It's not developer-unfriendly. More than 100 houses have been built in our old area since the NHD designation.

Some NHD neighborhoods have been able to exert considerable clout. Bungalow Heaven, in Pasadena California, has been fighting a freeway construction project that would bisect their neighborhood.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation can help with info on getting NHD status. I think they also sometimes will weigh in to help deal with specific projects.

This info may be a little late for the Oaks at Eden, but maybe it can help. I hope so.

13. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

The OAKS of Eden..what Oaks after they have clear cut the property? This development makes my stomach turn. I have emailed the commissioners and will forward the information. Thanks Kurt, Joe, and everyone else for their consern.

14. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

MANY thanks to Dave, Kurt & SJ for the research, the heads-up, and the e-mail addresses! :clap_1:

15. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Reminds me of the "Oaks Mall" in Gainesville. They cleared an Oak Hammock with over a hundred trees that were over 200 years old to build the mall. For many years the logo looked like an oak stump with cut off branches sticking out. The developers must have been trying to rub it in.

16. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

We lived in Gainesville when that mall was built and the trees cut down. Sad, stupid thing to do! They planted all these little trees to replace them. We lived in Buckingham subd. so drove by there daily. :bang:

17. bsmart

bsmart brain

Dear Commissioner,
    Please count me as a concerned citizen opposed to the height and density of the proposed Oaks At Eden Development. It is completely out of character and incompatible with neighboring residential neighborhoods, and the historical pattern of development in Point Washington. Not to mention, the damage to the local environment will be tremendous and in effect will diminish the aesthetic quality of this area. Timothy Henderson et al., have a long streak of poor quality and unsightly developments in surrounding areas of the panhandle, similar practices in our county will be an utter disappointment to many.

Sincerely,

This is the letter I sent.

18. Dave Rauschkolb

In all posts to the commissioners please be polite, respectful, simple and direct. All we are asking is that The Oaks of Eden development stick to what is pretty much established; 4 units per acre and 2 story houses. Great Letter bsmart, thanks! Dave

19. Dave Rauschkolb

I am going to charter a bus for Point Washington Residents to go to the meeting together. May I ask that anyone wanting to ride on the bus(s) please email me at drmail@mchsi.com so you may reserve a seat and to determine if we need two busses. We can pick up any elderly folks if they can't get a ride to the church if necessary.

We will leave from the parking lot of the Cornerstone church in Historic Point Washington at 2:50 on November 8 for the 4:00 meeting in Defuniak springs.

If for some reason the meeting is postponed or the time changed we will plan the same trip until we are heard.

Thank you all. Dave Rauschkolb

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

According to the GIS maps, approx 60% of the property is in FEMA's 100 year flood zone. I believe the current law is that property which is in a flood zone is not able to be sub-divided. You will have to check me on this.

As for surrounding properties, the two parcels south of this parcel are Zoned Conservation Residential (2 units per acre). Also, the subject parcel and all other surrounding property, except for the parcel to the SW, is zoned Traditional Neighborhood. The parcel to the SW is zoned infill.

It is also my understanding that in order for the zoning to be changed, the subject property needs to be surrounded on at least three sides by type of zoning change being requested. Of course this conforming issue has not stopped the County from changing the density on other property.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005