• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
FoX said:
The Henderson brothers (Hendco Construction) are notorious for building the lowest quality house in Destin. An ugly square box with substandard everything.

Funny you say that. I was wondering what the standard Hendco house would look like stacked four high. -- Nasty

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I previously lived in an area where the neighborhood resident's association applied for and received "national historic district" designation. Doing so allowed us to create and enforce design guidelines for both new construction and renovation of existing property. Deed covenants make it clear to new purchasers, prior to purchase, what they will legally be held to.

The system actually works. The neighborhood became desirable, vacant lots were developed, and the new houses that were built look very appropriate to the period, style, and siting of the existing houses. Inappropriate remodeling projects stopped butchering old houses. It's not developer-unfriendly. More than 100 houses have been built in our old area since the NHD designation.

Some NHD neighborhoods have been able to exert considerable clout. Bungalow Heaven, in Pasadena California, has been fighting a freeway construction project that would bisect their neighborhood.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation can help with info on getting NHD status. I think they also sometimes will weigh in to help deal with specific projects.

This info may be a little late for the Oaks at Eden, but maybe it can help. I hope so.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
The OAKS of Eden..what Oaks after they have clear cut the property? This development makes my stomach turn. I have emailed the commissioners and will forward the information. Thanks Kurt, Joe, and everyone else for their consern.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
MANY thanks to Dave, Kurt & SJ for the research, the heads-up, and the e-mail addresses! :clap_1:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Reminds me of the "Oaks Mall" in Gainesville. They cleared an Oak Hammock with over a hundred trees that were over 200 years old to build the mall. For many years the logo looked like an oak stump with cut off branches sticking out. The developers must have been trying to rub it in.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
kurt said:
Reminds me of the "Oaks Mall" in Gainesville. They cleared an Oak Hammock with over a hundred trees that were over 200 years old to build the mall. For many years the logo looked like an oak stump with cut off branches sticking out. The developers must have been trying to rub it in.

We lived in Gainesville when that mall was built and the trees cut down. Sad, stupid thing to do! They planted all these little trees to replace them. We lived in Buckingham subd. so drove by there daily. :bang:

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Dear Commissioner,
Please count me as a concerned citizen opposed to the height and density of the proposed Oaks At Eden Development. It is completely out of character and incompatible with neighboring residential neighborhoods, and the historical pattern of development in Point Washington. Not to mention, the damage to the local environment will be tremendous and in effect will diminish the aesthetic quality of this area. Timothy Henderson et al., have a long streak of poor quality and unsightly developments in surrounding areas of the panhandle, similar practices in our county will be an utter disappointment to many.

Sincerely,

This is the letter I sent.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
In all posts to the commissioners please be polite, respectful, simple and direct. All we are asking is that The Oaks of Eden development stick to what is pretty much established; 4 units per acre and 2 story houses. Great Letter bsmart, thanks! Dave

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I am going to charter a bus for Point Washington Residents to go to the meeting together. May I ask that anyone wanting to ride on the bus(s) please email me at drmail@mchsi.com so you may reserve a seat and to determine if we need two busses. We can pick up any elderly folks if they can't get a ride to the church if necessary.

We will leave from the parking lot of the Cornerstone church in Historic Point Washington at 2:50 on November 8 for the 4:00 meeting in Defuniak springs.

If for some reason the meeting is postponed or the time changed we will plan the same trip until we are heard.

Thank you all. Dave Rauschkolb

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
According to the GIS maps, approx 60% of the property is in FEMA's 100 year flood zone. I believe the current law is that property which is in a flood zone is not able to be sub-divided. You will have to check me on this.

As for surrounding properties, the two parcels south of this parcel are Zoned Conservation Residential (2 units per acre). Also, the subject parcel and all other surrounding property, except for the parcel to the SW, is zoned Traditional Neighborhood. The parcel to the SW is zoned infill.

It is also my understanding that in order for the zoning to be changed, the subject property needs to be surrounded on at least three sides by type of zoning change being requested. Of course this conforming issue has not stopped the County from changing the density on other property.

Last edited: