• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
You have a lot of "private" in CAPS Vagrant. Is your issue really diminution of residential values or distaste for private access?
No....just a sticky caps key.:roll: But since you asked, Redfish perceives value from a PRIVATE beach access for their development. "So?", you ask. The owners of the adjacent PRIVATE homes derive value from their location and the right to quiet enjoyment of PRIVATE property. Damn caps are stickin' again.

Frankly, I'm glad VOR developers decided private bathrooms would be far better than having kids crap in the dunes (although I don't discount the value of this for dune restoration purposes).
Great visual...thanks. So I guess you're also implying that the public restrooms that will be built at the public access (per Brad Pickel) is not good enough for those at Redfish Village? I know that's not true.

I have no idea whether the developers did anything wrong in obtaining approval, but the general consensus seems to be that these are likable guys.
So, if you're "likable", you can have your way with the county and citizens of Walton County?

Hell, Roman Emperors use to build lavish bath houses as lasting testaments to their power and glory which archaeologist spent countless time and resources trying to uncover.
I'm no history buff, but didn't the Roman Empire fall because there were no more lands to "rape and pillage"?

Can't a bathroom be constructed in a manner that is non-offensive and aesthetically pleasing to neighboring landowners?
You have missed the entire point(s). The bathrooms, themselves, are not the issue.

This is a serious issue for all parties involved.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
If the private access is not an allowable use of infill and the nearby property owners are opposed, I'm afraid we're doomed. The developer will prevail.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If the private access is not an allowable use of infill and the nearby property owners are opposed, I'm afraid we're doomed. The developer will prevail.
This statement is confusing to me. What are you saying?

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
"If the condo docs state that there will be a private beach access, and one is not built, then isn't it a "breach of contract?" Those currently holding preconstruction contracts at Redfish Village could then sue the developers for breach of contract and if they win, could get their earnest money back and walk away. This would leave the developer in a very bad situation."

The developers live and work along 30-A and their children are in Walton County schools where they (the developers) are active in raising money for the schools to benefit the children of Walton County. Redfish Village is a plus for Blue Mountain which had virtually no mixed-use worth mention. Now, it will have retaurants, coffee and ice cream shops and other commercial establishments in a development that, for lack of a better phrase, looks a hell of a lot better than the other developments nearby. It seems petty to hope that the developer is in "a bad situation". Maybe cooler heads will prevail. Otherwise, density won't be a problem because most every place along 30-A will be empty except for renters during summer. The remainder of the year, you'll be able safely to shoot cannons down 30-A, because there will be precious few full time.
Yes, Redfish Village is so much nicer than unspoiled forest it replaced. I'm sure pontoon boats full of pink millionaires searching for restroom facilities is a definite enhancement to the surrounding community.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, Redfish Village is so much nicer than unspoiled forest it replaced. I'm sure pontoon boats full of pink millionaires searching for restroom facilities is a definite enhancement to the surrounding community.
This gets confusing with so many developments in that area, but I think the pontoon boat belongs to the "Sanctuary" at Redfish.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
This gets confusing with so many developments in that area, but I think the pontoon boat belongs to the "Sanctuary" at Redfish.
Thanks SJ, I'm confused by the rush to destroy one of the best stretches of 30A. Maybe all the developers could combine forces and create a Navy for Big Redfish Lake. It would help keep water traffic to a minimum and insure for a "quality" developement. You know, scheduled watercraft launches that coordinate with ice cream and coffee shop hours.

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
"Redfish Village is so much nicer than unspoiled forest it replaced"

Please post your home address in Orlando and we will kindly send over the crew to replace your castle with an unspoiled forest.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I would love to see a recently taken aerial photo of the new developments around Big Redfish Lake side by side with one from 2 years ago. Where is that guy who takes all the aerials? It would really show you some of the collective impact of these four new developments, one of which illegally built a bridge through the wetlands. I forget the name of that project, but it is adjacent to and north of the Redfish Village.

Last edited:

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Dear SJ,

To clarify, it seems like whenever zoning variances or land use changes are requested and the public is against it, the variances are allowed. That's what I meant by "we're doomed".

Just look at the proposed relocation of the Panama City Airport. Locals voted overwhelmingly against it, it will ruin 4,000 acres with a great deal of wetlands and the cost is now estimated at 331 million dollars. The Airport Authority didn't want to extend the runway of the current airport because it would harm St. Andrews Bay. Now the plan is for the current proposed developer of the old site to dredge the bay for a marina.

This is not unique to Walton County. I split my time between Miami and Panama City. I grew up in Bay County and have owned property in Walton County for many years. Same old, same old.

Fortunately a lawsuit was just filed by environmental groups to halt the airport, so there's still hope.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Dear SJ,

To clarify, it seems like whenever zoning variances or land use changes are requested and the public is against it, the variances are allowed. That's what I meant by "we're doomed".

Just look at the proposed relocation of the Panama City Airport. Locals voted overwhelmingly against it, it will ruin 4,000 acres with a great deal of wetlands and the cost is now estimated at 331 million dollars. The Airport Authority didn't want to extend the runway of the current airport because it would harm St. Andrews Bay. Now the plan is for the current proposed developer of the old site to dredge the bay for a marina.

This is not unique to Walton County. I split my time between Miami and Panama City. I grew up in Bay County and have owned property in Walton County for many years. Same old, same old.

Fortunately a lawsuit was just filed by environmental groups to halt the airport, so there's still hope.

I figured that you were either a long timer here who meant it just like you said it, or you were someone who jumbles their thoughts like I often do. It is clear now, and thanks!