• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ladyj

Beach Lover
Nov 29, 2006
Unanimous approval to build 108 parking spaces on Scenic Gulf Drive adjacent to Whale's Tail.
No timeframe yet. Cost about $800,000.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I know that there were several property density increases on the the agenda. Do you know how those turned out?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Jdarg, I found out more info regarding what you were asking about the de-obligating of park funds. At one time, there was $30,000 allocated by the BCC for funding of Pisces Park (maybe off of Chat Holley Rd), which was never used. Commissioner Meadows requested that the funds be de-obligated from there original intent, and re-obligated to newly planned "Driftwood Park."
Also, there was $50,000 allocated to building a horse park which is not happening. So those funds were approved to be de-obligated, and re-obligated to the funding of Cessna Park.

One other big item in the way of parks in WalCo, I understand that on Tuesday night, the BCC approved roughly $5 Million to be added to $400,000 from the City of Freeport, to build a public Park on Bay Loop Road in Freeport. This park land was donated by Jay Odum, developer of Hammock Bay, and the park will offer many things. I understand that they are looking at changing up a couple of features of the park in order to save a little bit of money, but the park should offer many things to many people in that area. It will be HUGE. It will also be an added benefit to the owners of Hammock Bay, and the near-by subdivisions. Freeport is growing in leaps and bounds, just behind the scenes.

tj4liberty

Beach Crab
Aug 19, 2007
destin
:cool: LadyJ's use of this message board to solicit comments from those in favor of the parking project around the Whale's Tail is further evidence of her biased reporting in favor of the parking project. Once upon a time (probably before her parents were born) the term "yellow journalism" was used to describe her style of reporting. She comes across in her article as sophomoric and/or niave. Further, her vulgar language on this message board is unprofessional and should be an embarrassment to her employer.

tj4liberty

Beach Crab
Aug 19, 2007
destin
LadyJ, Where do you suppose grant money comes from? Since you either don't know or don't care, let me help you a little bit: it comes from the people who pay taxes. It is only the government's money because they take it from the people. The beach parking project was a grant in search of a project to spend it on. The county should have returned the money to the state. In none of the articles or at the Commission meeting did anyone provide any statistics that documented the current parking situation as hazardous. Has there been an increase in traffic accidents or bodily injuries because of the present parking arrangement? The answer is No.