• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You guys should heed the warnings. If the red flags are flying, stay out of the water. Early afternoon today, a kid was in the rough water at Ed Walline Park, across the street from Gulf Place. The kid got into trouble, his uncle went in after him. The uncle was able to get to the kid, but the uncle drowned. Another family member went in, but was able to rescue only the kid.

That water can be deadly if not respected. Wake up, people! :bang:

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Very sad story. Based on the pictures you posted earlier and the looks of the water, I can not believe that anyone went in the water let alon allowed their child to go in. I feel bad for the family and the loss of someone to this tragedy but people must heed the warnings provided and/or use some common sense....and watch your kids very closely.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wetwilly said:
Very sad story. Based on the pictures you posted earlier and the looks of the water, I can not believe that anyone went in the water let alon allowed their child to go in. I feel bad for the family and the loss of someone to this tragedy but people must heed the warnings provided and/or use some common sense....and watch your kids very closely.

I refer to the person as a kid, but I am uncertain whether the kid was 5 or 25 yrs old. I only heard the story on the local news. It is very sad that the kid had to lose his uncle in order to learn to respect the powerful sea.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
IMG_1579.JPG

Yes, rough seas indeed.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lollygal said:
I am so sad that someone would venture into those waters! I just don't understand the reasoning. I guess I'm just a safety girl.

Today, I talked to some local, experience surfers who were only thinking about going surfing. They stayed on land.

LL

Beach Crab
Jul 4, 2005
Hi,

I could not find any news articles about this drowning - I want to point this out to my husband. When I visited the area in July, the flags were red or double red almost the entire week (pre-Dennis week). My husband, along with MANY other tourists who should have known better - kept going in the water. I refused to let my husband take our 5 year old son in the water, opting to stay in the pool and on the beach (not the most fun vacation we've ever had - this was the source of many arguments over the course of the week). Even though the flags were red, the resort put out beach chairs for rent, inviting people to enjoy the beach, and I just do not think people realize the danger.

I - being extremely paranoid and used to the Sarasota and Pinellas area beaches and their swimming pool-like conditions - researched the riptide phenomemon extensively before our vacation, and there is no way I would ever take a chance with my child. I wouldn't even let him in the water with a yellow flag - he is just too little and not a strong enough swimmer. Plus, in a panic situation, a child is not going to remember to swim parallel to shore until he/she is released from the current. I do not think the property management companies in the area do an adequate job in educating renters about the flag system - maybe they are afraid of scaring tourists away and losing money. Of course, people need to take personal responsbility and know what they are getting into before they get into the water (this is easy for me to say however because I grew up in Florida). People who did not grow up around the ocean do not realize how grand and powerful it is and how small we are compared to it.