• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachyteachy

Beach Fanatic
Apr 4, 2005
My husband is a realtor here in South Walton and we have heard several rumors (from very good sources) about a planned toll bridge on the intercoastal. Is is supposed to be the first privately owned toll bridge. If this is so, I can imagine that Bunker and surrounding properties will go up. Can anyone substantiate this or has anyone heard similar rumors?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
We've been hearing bridge talk for a long time. It's now assumed that St. Joe will make it happen as a connector from WaterSound to the new airport.

The private part I haven't heard. I suppose it could be if they can't get the state to do it.

beachyteachy

Beach Fanatic
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Kurt! Any word on the time frame? Is this something we can expect soon or will it be several years ahead?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
beachyteachy said:
Thanks Kurt! Any word on the time frame? Is this something we can expect soon or will it be several years ahead?

I haven't heard. You'd probably have to be behind some closed door to find out. It seems like about a year ago that there were reports of actual plans and I heard people were buying North of the Intracoastal. But then again with the airport coming they'd be doing that anyway. My guess would be at or before the airport is ready to go.

Sorry I really don't have any facts. Maybe someone else ???

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I really couldn't see it happening as a public toll bridge any time in the near future. While the Mid-Bay Bridge has been very successful, Bo's Bridge (Garcon Point Bridge near Gulf Breeze) has had some real problems meeting bond payments and the Emerald Coast Bridge authority that is supposed to be solving some Ft. Walton Beach traffic problems is currently on about its fifth different incarnation in twenty years and has only a big finaicial hole and eight different feasibility studies to show for its efforts. St. Joe or no, I can't see another bridge authority getting green-lighted in the Panhandle right now.

Much more likely that St. Joe gets sick of waiting for some sort of approval from Tallahassee and goes the private route, IMO.