Tonight's Commissioner's Meeting TAX MILLAGE

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by pk305, Sep 26, 2005.

1. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

Does anyone have a status update from tonight's Walton County Commissioner's meeting regarding the tax millage rate debate?? Thanks.

2. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

From the Daily News:

After hearing residents? concerns at the final 2005-06 budget hearing Monday night, commissioners decided to go even lower and set the new rate at 4.3099.
    ?I am stunned,? said Bonnie McQuiston, president of the Walton Taxpayers Association, a group that has pushed for a lower millage rate. ?I think we have the best county government in the state.?

3. pgurney

pgurney Beach Fanatic

We recently received two assessments for the same property. They were dated within 7 to 10 days of each other. The second one had a lower assessment. Any ideas why?

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The first one was a mistake.

5. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    The second one had a lower assessment? Are you sure?

The first set of assessments went by the property appraiser's assessed value figures for 2004. Most people got a higher (or much higher) assessement for 2005, and that was the second set mailed out.

6. Wastin Away

Wastin Away Beach Lover

What impact will this have on our 2005 taxes? Also, does anyone know if the proposed budget that was to be discussed on September 6, 2005 passed.

7. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

Thanks chrisv! I am trying to remember the old rate...?
    At any rate this should help a little!!

8. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Do you have homestead exemption on your property? The reason I ask is mine was lower as well. (Still high, but lower.)

Otherwise, I have no clue.

9. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

If someone would be willing to post a Math example of the tax calculation that would be swell!! Say for example, if property assessment is $250,000 in the So Walton Fire District.....if you could possible walk thru the calculation that would be great....using the new rate as posted here....4.3099
    I know this has previously been done but couldn't locate it....THANKS!!

10. pgurney

pgurney Beach Fanatic

Correction. The assessed value was 35% or so higher, but the taxes were down slightly.

11. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

At the property appraisers office, they will tell you to calculate your property taxes by taking today's sales price, multiple it by .85, then, divide by 1,000, then multiply by the millage, (I think about 11.7). That is to give you an approximation of what to expect in the way of prop taxes.
    So, Skier is correct. Most people's assessed values are still under actual market prices in their area. I have no idea why the calculate only the assessed value based on 85% of the selling prices, but that is what I have been told time after time inside the Prop. Appraiser's Office in Walton County. Believe me, we are still getting a break based on actual market values.

This was posted by SJ awile back - I saved it to try to figure out my taxes. Hope this helps

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I read Chris's post above regarding the 4.3099 millage, but is this the entire millage or just one portion. The total millage is comprised of several items, each having it's own millage rates. These other items include county stuff, schools (both state and local), water mgt, fire, etc.

Chris are you saying that the total county millage for the SWDistrict is 4.3099, which would be much lower than the 11.7___ it is currently? I have a feeling this number covers only the County's stuff which would probably put the total millage around 7 mills - just my guess.

PK305, I will teach you how to calculate you estimated property taxes based on this millage of 4.3099, and for different millage rates, you simply change that number.

Mills is French for (1,000) thousand. Based on your property being assessed at $250,000, here is the math.
    $250,000 (appraised value) / 1,000 = 250
    250 x 4.3099 (millage rate) = $1,077.48 would be your property taxes if my math is correct. Double check me. Pretty simple, eh?

Back to my question. Is the 4.3099 the total millage? My guess is no. Anyone know?

13. TooFarTampa

SJ it is my understanding, based on my perusal of the Walton Sun online editions, that the millage rate that has been approved for just the public schools portion of the budget is 4.46. Based on my calculations, last year the rate was 5.57. The meeting for that portion of the budget was 9/12.

I also am figuring that last night's meeting was the one originally scheduled for 9/6 that was for the commission budget only. The "proposed" millage on my TRIM notice for that portion of the budget was 5.09. Last year's millage rate for the commission budget was right about that number. As Chris noted it will now be 4.3099.

So, it appears the millage will drop about 1.89 from last year's 11.7, but that doesn't take into account other (lesser) factors. I don't know the outcome of the fire department budget meeting, and there are two other parts to the rate.

Overall though it's a nice decrease in the millage rate, and helps those people not protected by the Save Our Homes cap who saw assessments go up significantly. Homesteaders are big winners, which is great for them. As long as the budget is managed properly, it seems like a reasonable course.

Ok now I'm going to bed. My head hurts. :bang:

14. TooFarTampa

OK one more.

Let's say the other three portions of the millage rate, including the South Walton Fire District, remain the same from last year. My numbers say the millage rate for this year is at 9.81 or thereabouts.

250 X 9.81 = $2452.50 for 2005 taxes

If you call the Property Appraiser's office tomorrow, you might be able to get more concrete information about the millage rate. But I dunno. They may not have it yet.

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Now don't you go giving Charles a hard time. He may turn on you. ShallowsNole knows what I mean. :floor:

16. TooFarTampa

So you're saying Charlie Hilton (Concrete King) influences the millage rate? :confused: You've got some 'splainin to do.

Charlie is my neighbor. Sort of.

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

No, I am referring to Charles, who works in the Tax Appr office in SoWal. He is a trip. It only takes about three years for him to warm up to you, if you see him often. Nice guy, but definitely not all smiles. Don't make him mad by calling in asking a bunch of questions.

18. TooFarTampa

Oh. That's a good warning. I have a tendency to ask detailed and/or exasperatingly specific questions, and usually I am very chipper when doing so. Sometimes that makes people irritable. We lived in Mass. for awhile, and I heard from my plumber that the lady at the building department asked him what was up with me, "cause she's always so damn cheerful." Sheesh. New Englanders. I think they're worse in general than Florida governmental officials who don't like to be bothered. But I won't take any chances...

But we can all agree that "what is the millage rate for 2005?" is a simple question. Theoretically anyway. :idontno:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  19. pk305

pk305 Beach Fanatic

Thanks for all the info.....I think that the 9.81 makes sense & therefore I feel that our taxes will be a little less than what was on TRIM notice #2 which is at home (while I'm in Seagrove). I appreciate all the good help!!

20. sarahj

sarahj Beach Lover

Thanks SJ, didn't know mills was a French word. :cool: