tons of poop

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by minnetonkamari, Apr 1, 2010.

1. minnetonkamari

minnetonkamari Beach Crab

We are vacation homeowners at Watercolor and have 3 toy breed dogs. We are used to living in a Metro area where people are pretty diligent about picking up after their dogs. I don't go out without 3-4 poop bags tied to one of the leashes. I've never seen so much un-picked-up dog poop as down here. You can't go for a walk without seeing loads of dog doodie all over. It's gross and I can't imagine what folks who aren't dog owners or dog lovers must think. It really bums me out because responsible dog owners would never do that, but irresponsible ones make everyone look bad. I've also experienced so many people walking their dogs off-leash and/or just letting them roam around unleashed.

I'd love to see a fenced dog park where well behaved dogs and their owners could visit and interact. Dogs that don't get to run and play with other dogs or never learn to, end up being poorly behaved when they do encounter other dogs. They just never learn to communicate with other dogs and just "be" dogs. We've all walked our dogs past a poor dog being pulled and restrained by it's owner because encountering another dog is so stressful for them.

Just my two cents on being a dog owner down here.

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Bark Park located off JD Miller Road, first right west of 331.

3. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

thank you for voicing what i have been saying for a long time. my dog is always on a leash when outside, and we always pick up after her. what is so difficult? the fact is many dog owners are just too darn lazy to do either, which is pathetic. it seems we live in a very "it's about me" time without any consideration for others. my dog was attacked and injured by two loose dogs owned by locals who knew their dogs were violent. just this past week, a pit bull owned locally by someone who never kept it penned in or leashed severely injured a neighbor's small dog. i am sick and tired of this issue and think i need to start beating down the county's door over this issue. it always amazes me how when i tell an owner whose dogs are loose that they need to put them on a leash, they get smart with me and act like i'm nuts. these people should just not have pets. they obviously don't care if the dogs get run over by a car. have seen this almost happen several times in the village of blue mountain beach with numerous dogs.

kudos to you for speaking out.

4. heartbren

heartbren Beach Fanatic

Poop

I am a pet sitter just moving to the area today. I know how you feel. I've picked up much poop over the years doing what I do and get very frustrated when I see that others do not do the same. Thanks for the post. Brenda Groetsch (504) 231-5358 HEART PET SITTING SERVICES No local phone number yet. Just moving today.

5. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Thank you for explaining so well why visiting dogs are no longer allowed on the beach!

6. blueeyes2go

blueeyes2go Beach Comber

I moved here in early feb. and have yet to see people not picking up their dog's poop. I live in a neighborhood right on 30a. As far as I can see the people who live here carry bags even to the beach just for that purpose. Could be a matter of money-they think they have paid so much for a summer rental for vacation that they think someone else must have been paid to do the dirty work-like poop picking. Maybe Watercolor needs some pastel street signs that read- Picking up poo can be pretty too!

7. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I constantly see people letting their dog poop and then not picking it up. Sometimes I consider installing an air horn so I can scare them. :angry:

It's very much an either/or situation. There are people that do clean up and carry bags with them etc. and do a good job.

8. sullygromo

sullygromo Beach Lover

Um, no one acts like you're nuts. Your points are fair enough...you are just a rude, nasty person who needs to learn how to make your opinion known in a POLITE way...maybe then people wouldn't "get smart" (really?) with you! Just my .02.

9. sisters4

sisters4 Beach Lover

Unleashed dogs are usually so sweet but how can anyone know the personality of the dog they approach and visa versa. As much as we all love our dogs people need to remember that they are dogs and have an instinct. As to the poop thing - I have come down there for many years and have never noticed the poop thing as being anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I have never stayed in the poopy area. That being said owners should pick up the poop as a courtesy.

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Are unleashed dogs allowed on The Beaches of South Walton? We always have Aris Blue Skies Black Pepper on a leash, as per the contract with her breeder so that she does not become road-kill and via our own rule that she does not intimidate people with her almost 50-pound "peppery" personality.

Pepper does her business in our fenced-in yard. We always bring poop bags with us when she goes to the beach in case she has the urge there.

Recently I saw a lab-mix dog on the beach with no owner in sight. S/he ran around according to his/her own volition and pooped wherever s/he desired.

Dunno what one does about that. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  11. sullygromo

sullygromo Beach Lover

Ive seen this too a few times....leashes and permits are required on the beaches last I looked...:dunno:

12. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Welcome to a resort living environment. It's pretty much a tourist mentality thing IMO - I pay's my money and I'll do whatever ....

13. Douglas the Intrepid

Douglas the Intrepid Beach Fanatic

On the shores of paradise, Seagrove Beach
    Apparently there is something going on here beyond the post itself, but you are wrong that its making an OPINION known. Its not an opinion, its the law that is consistently disregarded. There is quite a big difference between the two and there are far too many dog owners who seem to feel entitled to allow their dogs do whatever they like in public.

14. sullygromo

sullygromo Beach Lover

OK, then substitute "fact", "law", "statute", or whatever word you'd like for "opinion"...much of what she says is most certainly an OPINION (though the dog laws are not, I agree).....the point is, she's rude and condescending and Im tiring of hearing her same story over and over and over and over and over and over and over....:cool:

15. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

do you even know me? are you with me when i tell these people it would be very appreciated if they kept their dogs on leashes? i'm a very direct person and very polite. when someone asks for an opinion on something, i answer the question directly...i don't hum and haw like a lot of people who are afraid to say what's on their mind. like it or lump it. speaking of rude and nasty.....

16. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

thank you for your support on this issue. i don't know what that poster's problem is. all i ask is that the leash law be enforced and people be considerate of each other.

17. shellak

shellak Beach Fanatic

speaking of tired of hearing someone go on and on....i really have no idea what your problem is but i hope you get help. i may have touched a nerve in that you are one of the offenders here. how about you just not read my posts...then you will feel so much better.

18. enfuego

enfuego Beach Lover

Why dont we start posting the realtor/rental agencies that tell visitors that "the owner has a permit that covers whoever is using the unit" I know of at least two that are in the practice of doing so.

19. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

Geez, CSully, chill already!

This person was simply upset and after lots of frustration, pets being attacked, etc, wanting to make their point. Not rude, or nasty, just making their point! Seems people are too sensitive sometimes, when others voice their opinions, etc.:dunno:As SOWAL members, we should feel that we can express ourselves, right?

20. sullygromo

sullygromo Beach Lover

Sounds like a good solution to me....