• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bamabeachbum

Beach Fanatic
May 31, 2006
Decatur,Alabama
I have spent many a happy time at Toomers, and this is very sad that it happend. Every fan base has there share of "Lunatic Fringe". It is ashame that the so called fans can not act like the players on the field, play hard and shake hands after its over.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Extended coverage on CNN now - suspect in custody. One of his children is named "Roll Tide" Updyke and the other is "Bear Bryant" Updyke. I'm guessing they will need to change their first and last names and maybe move to another country.

Auburn official chokes up during press conference.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I am still waiting for the Bama officials to condemn the action and pledge to do everything in their power to insure the person who is responsible never goes to another game in Bryant Denny Stadium. That's what I would expect Auburn to do if an Auburn fan permanently damaged Denny Chimes.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
Every fan base has there share of "Lunatic Fringe".

"Lunatic Fringe" doesn't begin to cover it. A man old enough to have grandchildren released an incredible amount of a deadly toxin in a public space due to the results of a football game (he said it was because Toomer's was papered after Bryant's death, but that never happened, and he did it right after this year's Iron Bowl). His actions will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not over a million to remedy, and college football will be robbed of a great tradition for years to come. I honestly can't imagine retaliation in kind, and I know for a fact that every institution does not have fans with such a distorted perception that would do something so sickening and pitiful.

As for Alabama statements, AD Mal Moore yesterday said the following:

"It's an awful act, a terrible thing to do," Moore said in a statement. "A lot of what makes our two programs so special is our many unique traditions. So, hearing this about Toomer's Corner is upsetting to me in several ways. I certainly hope that whomever is responsible is held accountable."

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Not every team has a lunatic fringe - because some teams find the behavior of those associated with their university as important as the win/loss ratio.

Any decent school would ban this moron from their campus, stadium, and any team events for life.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You can be an insane fan, yet not stoop to this level of crime and poor sportsmanship.

P.S. I know this may shock you, but there are football teams outside the SEC. ;-)

PearlSB4U

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2010
I live & die for UGA sports--football especially.
I live in west Georgia where there is a large concentration of AU fans.
My dad raised me to hate GA Tech, but that was when they were SEC & actually had competitive teams.
Nowadays, I'd rather beat AU than any other school.
I have to admit I have only grudgingly congratulated by AU friends on their NC; although I have a scintilla of pride that an SEC team won.
All that said, poisoning trees--especially trees that play such a large part in AU tradition--is completely Beyond The Pale.
I would be soooo embarrassed if the perp had any connection to UGA.
My heart breaks for AU fans in this instance--sincerely.