• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seanote

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2007
So the county wants tourists to be able to purchase passes so that they can bring their dogs to the beach - you've got to be kidding me. I am 100% for property owners of Walton County being able to take their leashed dogs to the beach, but to think that tourists will be able to come down here with their dogs is unthinkable. They can't even clean up after themselves on the beach and many of them barely keep an eye on their kids! Do you really think they will clean up after their dogs?

It doesn't appear that this issue is keeping many people from South Walton as the crowds are swelling yearly. Just go down to the beach on any Spring Break week, Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend - the tents are three deep and the crowds are thick. Do we really need to add dogs to the chaos?

I have seen numerous times at the beach dogs running around, no leash, jumping on me, circling my beach chair, chasing herons, defecating on the beach and the owners not doing a thing about it. All of these things have happened at one time or another this year, but only on occasion. More dogs on the beach are going to make all of these things regular incidents.

I live here and the beach is a sanctuary. I want to be able to photograph and observe the wildlife without dogs running them off. I want to be able to sit and watch a sunset without dogs running around me. I want to be able to walk on the beach without stepping in excrement. I don't want to feel like I have to explain laws and rules to tourists when I see these things happening.

This is just crazy.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
The current laws on the books re: dogs on the beach, are not enforced now. Tourists and locals alike ignore the laws now, why are we even talking about adding more dogs on the beach and not about putting more teeth into the current laws by putting more law enforcement patrols on the beach to write tickets. Other issues like glass containers, loud music, etc. need to be controlled as well. All these issues and more aimed specifically at SOWAL and we have one representative out of five on the BCC. We should have the majority. North Walton County residents for the most part only care how much money they can get out of the south part of the county and couldn't care less about our quality of living.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
So the county wants tourists to be able to purchase passes so that they can bring their dogs to the beach - you've got to be kidding me. I am 100% for property owners of Walton County being able to take their leashed dogs to the beach, but to think that tourists will be able to come down here with their dogs is unthinkable. They can't even clean up after themselves on the beach and many of them barely keep an eye on their kids! Do you really think they will clean up after their dogs?

It doesn't appear that this issue is keeping many people from South Walton as the crowds are swelling yearly. Just go down to the beach on any Spring Break week, Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend - the tents are three deep and the crowds are thick. Do we really need to add dogs to the chaos?

I have seen numerous times at the beach dogs running around, no leash, jumping on me, circling my beach chair, chasing herons, defecating on the beach and the owners not doing a thing about it. All of these things have happened at one time or another this year, but only on occasion. More dogs on the beach are going to make all of these things regular incidents.

I live here and the beach is a sanctuary. I want to be able to photograph and observe the wildlife without dogs running them off. I want to be able to sit and watch a sunset without dogs running around me. I want to be able to walk on the beach without stepping in excrement. I don't want to feel like I have to explain laws and rules to tourists when I see these things happening.

This is just crazy.

Ditto.

I have a dog that needs off-leash exercise. I would love to let her run wild on the beach. (And I admit I have in the past.) It would be wonderful.

Y'know it's a beautiful romantic notion... But hyper dogs jump on people. All dogs poop at random outside. And their nature causes them to run off native species.

There's no way to certify that a dog won't jump on other people... or poop... or chase herons. And, if you can't guarantee that, you can't let people let dogs off leash.

If you can't let dogs off leash, you certainly shouldn't give tourists the opportunity to have dog passes. ... Because like everything else... you give them an inch and they take a mile. Not all of them, but the obnoxious 10-30%. For those people, an on-leash pass is a license to take dogs on the beach off-leash. That's because they do exactly one half of what they are supposed to do and make up their own rules after that. If a sheriff stops them, they just play dumb. And, it doesn't matter to them; because they won't be back for another 6 months to a year. So a warning is a joke.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
That's not the half of it. I saw someone (NOT a TDC or county truck) driving on the beach yesterday near Eastern Lake. Was gonna call the Sheriffs on them, but they turned around and went back toward PC before they got close enough for me to ID the vehicle and take a photo of the license.

Dogs are a problem, too. But this is absolutely the first time I've seen someone driving. I think they got on at the beach access just east of Eastern lake - it is open to the street.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
That's not the half of it. I saw someone (NOT a TDC or county truck) driving on the beach yesterday near Eastern Lake. Was gonna call the Sheriffs on them, but they turned around and went back toward PC before they got close enough for me to ID the vehicle and take a photo of the license.

Dogs are a problem, too. But this is absolutely the first time I've seen someone driving. I think they got on at the beach access just east of Eastern lake - it is open to the street.

Might have been working. Contractors are allowed on the beach during the off season with a special permit.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this idea appalling. There are already too many dogs running loose on the beach and the streets. My wife and I have been approached more than once by aggressive, unfriendly, unleashed ones. And of course, visitors' dogs might not even be vaccinated - so what happens if the dog bites someone and the owner just leaves SoWal?

I've got nothing against dogs; just against the owners who seem to have no sense of responsibility or other people's rights. I hope very much that the commissioners will put a stop to this. Are y'all listening?

Last edited:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
These are the current requirements for a permit:

Dog Beach Permit Requirements
(Real Property Owners or permanent residents only)
The Board of County Commissioners recently designated the Clerk of Court as the issuing agency for the Dog Beach Permits. The Ordinance allows Walton County real property owners or permanent residents to obtain a permit to walk your dog on the beach.
Requirements:

• Must provide proof of Rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian
  • The name of the dog owner on the vet records must match the name of the property owner records
  • Must provide proof of property ownership (deed or tax receipt,) OR
  • Must provide proof of residency (driver’s license, utility bill, lease agreement, or voter’s registration)
  • Business owners must show 51% ownership (copy of State or other document showing percentage of ownership or list of officers)
Hours:

• Daylight Savings Time: allowed between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. the following day
  • Non-Daylight Savings Time: allowed between 3:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. the following day
Dog Permit Fees:

• Dog permit: $40.00
  • Replacement for lost tag $10.00
Other:

• All permits expire on August 1 (grace period until August 15[SUP]th[/SUP])
  • Owners are responsible for pick up of their dogs’ waste

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
And what about the sea turtles?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this idea appalling. There are already too many dogs running loose on the beach and the streets. My wife and I have been approached more than once by aggressive, unfriendly, unleashed ones. And of course, visitors' dogs might not even be vaccinated - so what happens if the dog bites someone and the owner just leaves SoWal?

I've got nothing against dogs; just against the owners who seem to have no sense of responsibility or other people's rights. I hope very much that the commissioners will put a stop to this. Are y'all listening?

I'm appalled that the commission would think this is a good idea. We do not need more dogs on the beach harassing wildlife, digging up sea turtle nests, pooping on the beach/Gulf and generally annoying beachgoers. It's bad enough that the current ordinances are not enforced. I see dogs on the beach all the time, even with permits, outside the hours when they are supposed to be there.

I'm a non-resident owner and have no way to express my opinion of this idea with my vote - so it's taxation without representation in Walton County for me. My only recourse is comments such as this one or letters to the commission. I hope they are listening, but have little hope that they are.

I suppose we'll all have to start carrying pepper spray to fend off aggressive dogs! I had a neighbor who used to carry a big walking stick when he walked on the beach just for that reason.

So tell me again, how does this contribute to a pleasant and relaxing trip to the beach? The first time someone's kid gets bitten there will be lawsuits, probably against Walton County. I hope they are ready for it!

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The commissioners directed staff not to include the provision for dog beach permits for nonresidents in the Beach Activities Ordinance. They didn't vote on the ordinance but plan to take it up again on Jan. 22 with some changes agreed on at the meeting and minus the tourist dog beach permits.