• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I agree the dog on the beach is the problem but I have lived here a long time and am very familiar with our beach and all that goes on there. I used to live on the beach. And I can tell you it is our visitors that abuse the beach in many ways and totally ignore signs, beach flags, ordinances, rules on the bike path and I could go on. It is not just my opinion it is the was it IS!!! Just yesterday I was on the beach trying to get rid of an unleashed dog that attached itself to my leg! No, the dog owners did not live here and they knew better. As a resident I should be able to walk the beach anytime I want and feel safe from unleashed dogs. An unleashed dog that I don't know that is heading toward me you bet is a nuisance and sometimes I am fearful for my safety. I should be able to walk the beach without that stress!!! Most of the dogs I see are not permitted anyway and shouldn't even be on the beach! And yes, I am an animal lover and dog owner but I personally don't think dogs belong on the beach so mine stays home!

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I love bringing my dogs to the beach. Yes, they are on a leash. This is one of the reasons that Walton County just doesn't do it for me anymore. Too many rules, too many restrictions.

Then why do you still participate on the SoWal.com forum? Just curious.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Yes, too many rules and restrictions because too many people don't do what they are supposed to do and they have absolutely no respect for others. And too many rules and restrictions that are NEVER enforced and that's why they write more! The answer is very simple!!!

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Jdarg - I own property there and like to keep up with what's going on. Before our horrible experience in June, we were ready to build. Too many rules and restrictions because there are too many people now!!!!!! Thought I was safe because highrises were not allowed anymore.

Douglas

Beach Comber
Aug 27, 2012
Seagrove Beach
And I can tell you it is our visitors that abuse the beach in many ways and totally ignore signs, beach flags, ordinances, rules on the bike path and I could go on.

Why do you care whether visitors ignore beach flags?

Visitors can't ignore bike path rules if they never pass one of the scarce signs listing those rules. Likewise, if they use a private beach access, they won't see the beach rules signs.

I agree that unleased dogs can be a nuisance, large ones anyway. Visitors and residents alike should know not to let their dogs frighten other people.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
And one more thing. Did anyone else read the first post that started this thread? 4robbins said he was kicked off the beach because he was not a resident here. It had NOTHING to do with his dogs being off the leash but it had everything to do with his dogs NOT having permits for the beach. But the point really is that no one seems to follow the rules anyway and Walton county does not enforce much if anything and for me the latter is the real problem here!

Last edited: