• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
I just received word that the flashing signals that read signal ahead at the intersections of 283 and 98 and 395 and 98 will be removed by public works.

It was explained to me that the DOT is saying the signals are not in the proper placement and need to be moved in order to be in compliance. Walton County will have to pay $35,000.00 in order to have these signals moved and re-placed in the proper positions. Public Works is stating that they can not justify the expense of $35,000.00 and therefore will not do this. However they will move the signals and have them placed at other locations in the County for this expense.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. We all worked extremely hard to make these two dangerous intersections safe. Before the lights and safety devices were installed we had 42 accidents in an 18 month period of time. On two occasions, 4 accidents in the same day. We had anywhere from 8 - 12 fatalities at these locations since the four laning of Hwy 98. The conflicting fatality rate is due to the fact that the Highway Patrol and the Walton County Sheriffs Department keep differing records as to accidents depending on who was at the scene first.

Now, I am in no way saying we will again approach these staggering numbers of accidents, but since all the safety devices and measures have been in place, zero (00) fatalities and only one accident have occurred. We must not go backwards here. Please contact your commissioners, public works, and Walton County Administrator Ronnie Bell to express your concerns over this situation. How much is a life worth???

Your efforts will be greatly appreciated and just might save a life including your own.

Ed Berry

Commissioner Scott Brannon Commissioner Cindy Meadows
District 1 District 5
brascott@co.walton.fl.us meacindy@co.walton.fl.us
(850) 622-3081 (850) 622-3059

Commissioner Ken Pridgen Commissioner Larry Jones
District 2 District 3
prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us
(850) 834-6328 (850) 892-8474

Commissioner Ro Cuchens Ronnie Bell
District 4 belronniw@co.walton.fl.us
cucro@co.walton.fl.us
(850) 835-4834

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The sign on 283, just south of 98, is in a ditch facing down and has been for a while. The yield signs, on 98 approaching 283 from both directions, are placed in the wrong place too. I never understood why they don't check the location BEFORE placing signage. :bang:

Edit: Oops, I stand correct about the flashing light on 283. It is still erect but there is another nice, expensive stainless steel sign pole with sign face down in the ditch. I think the new bike path construction workers knocked it down.