• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Walton County school officials will be facing some tough decisions over the summer in light of the President’s new transgender bathroom policy.

The Departments of Justice and Education sent a letter earlier this month to every public school district, instructing them to allow transgender students to use whatever restroom they feel comfortable using.

“There is no room in our schools for discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against transgender students on the basis of their sex,” Attorney General Loretta Lynch said in a statement.

The guidance comes after the Justice Department sued North Carolina over a new state law that says transgender people must use public bathrooms, showers and changing rooms that correspond to the sex on their birth certificate. The administration has said the law violates the Civil Rights Act.

What does it all mean for Walton County, Florida students? According to Walton County School Superintendent Carlene Anderson, failure to implement the president’s policy could result in the loss of millions of federal dollars to the district, which fund school lunch programs. ‘For many of these kids, their only two hot meals a day come from school. That’s money that we don’t have and can’t make up,” said Anderson.

Though there have been no real issues locally, one male student did arrive at Walton High School in a skirt this past year and wanted to know if he met the dress code. Principal Russel Hughes dealt with the issue in a firm and fair way. “We’re not here to discriminate against anyone,” said Hughes. “But, we’re not going to allow the rights or safety of the majority to be violated either,” he said. Within a few days, the young man was back in men’s clothing.

Washington & Holmes County School Superintendents have assured parents and students that there will be no changes to their respective restroom policies. Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi has said the directive is under review.

Locally, Superintendent Anderson says she will be requesting a meeting with the Walton County School Board sometime this summer to address the issue.

Courtesy WZEP

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I guess I should have included the very professional photo that accompanied WZEP news blurb.

BATHROOM2-1024x576.jpg

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Teresa, what makes you think this is a non issue?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Teresa, what makes you think this is a non issue?
Making bathroom laws is just not what I think we should making a priority in our country. Transgender people have enough to deal with in their lives without being singled out and subjected to more discrimination. Transgender people going to the bathroom was never an issue until laws were created by extreme political lawmakers. Aren't there more pressing matters for leaders to address in this world? I would bet that all local schools already have policy and procedure in place for kids who need privacy in the bathrooms. Just heard a report on this recently. It was a non issue. Now its like deciding it's time to bully a certain kind of person that we can't understand. So we make laws to make them into perverts. Who are the real perverts?

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Teresa, you are right that this should be a non-issue. The Obama Administration is trying to push an agenda on local schools that is not the business of the national government. Further, following the administration's edict would open up a Pandora's box of problems for local schools when individual students having issues could be handled by school officials in a manner that would be appropriate and would not subject the vast majority of students and staff to having their privacy violated and their rights infringed upon. A heavy handed, one size fits all approach is absolutely wrong and the school systems are right to resist this intrusion into local matters by the national government.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Locally, the Walton County School System stands to lose about 5 million dollars in federal funding (most of which would come from the free or reduced lunch programs) if they fail to comply with this mandate. For some children in Walton County these are the only meals they will get on any given day...not that the food is either nutritious or even healthy but regardless that isn't my point. For parents who actually pay, it costs about $3.50 per day to feed their children at school.

I do think this is government overreach but I also think if you have a penis you should use the bathroom of the gender you were assigned at birth and vice versa. I seriously doubt any students here have had gender reassignment surgery and I can understand the fears of parents who don't want boys in the bathrooms with their daughters (or vice versa) and I understand the fears by parents who see this as an opportunity for perverts to prey on their children. It can and most assuredly will happen.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
They are light-years from threatening to withhold funding to actually doing it. Congress would have to agree and I cannot see them being that dumb, although anything is possible.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Actually Danny, for me, the money is the least of the problems...but I do think people need to know where the federal funding would be pulled from.

Holmes County also got the same letter and Dixon said they will not prescribe to the directions of the letter relating to transgender rights.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Discussing who goes to the bathroom where is such a waste of time and serves absolutely no purpose. The state laws are ridiculous and need to be repealed.

I believe Obama is attempting to protect school children from discrimination that these laws bring. But he should probably stay out of it and above it. From a program recent NPR program, as well as many reoorts, local schools are pretty good at protecting their students and providing facilities. Though bullying and even suicide has resulted from such laws and attention to this non issue starting with North Carolina's transgender law.

We also now have States entering lawsuits and the dumb law that was never an issue is taking up plenty of time and discussion and money and lawyers. If only schools and States would put forth this effort and energy into the quality of actual education for all students.

Last edited: