• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 25, 2011
I walk the bike path along 30A with my dogs every day, and most of the time I end up with a beer bottle in my hand. Not because I'm having too much fun on my walks, but because I am constantly picking up trash off of the path. In addition to beer bottles and cans, I've picked up plastic bags, food containers, coffee cups, cigarette boxes, water bottles, and even various pieces of clothing. Every single day I pick up trash, and yet it just keeps coming back. I'm relatively new to the area, so I was wondering - Is there any type of organized community trash pick-up day along 30A and the bike path? Do you think there would be any interest in an event like this? And has anyone suggested/considered one of those road sponsorship programs, where groups can “adopt” a section of the road and then be responsible for keeping that area trash free? I’d love to help get something like this started if it hasn’t been done before. Thoughts?

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Sheriff work crews and a mini streetsweeper go through regularly to clean it up, but people are such slobs that it gets filthy again in a matter of hours or days.

Would love to get people to actually throw their trash away instead of just throwing it!

surferjoet

Beach Lover
Mar 21, 2009
SRB
On the west end of 30A there is a banana peel bandit, that throws out or drops a banana peel daily on the sidewalk between Butler and Stinkys!!!!
Drives me NUTS !!!!!!
Okay so it's supposedly biodegradable but a few feet left or right and it wouldn't be in the middle of the sidewalk..

I support a community sidewalk clean up day

Shells

Beach Comber
Mar 16, 2010
Ok, so you've probably heard that problems don't go away unless you deal with the root of the problem. Well, same applies here. To really fix this issue, the trashers have to be caught and punished. Otherwise, no matter how much work others do, there will always be trash. And.....is it really fair for others to pick up some lazy butts garbage? I guess if you make it a paid job, those people wouldn't mind, but they could never get all the trash if we keep letting the disrespectful people drop their filth here.
I don't mind picking up others' trash at times to keep the area clean and I do. Sometimes trash blows out of cars or garbage cans, etc. and not out of intention from someone, but if we have to organize a group and make it a regular thing, I've got better things to do. Not that I'm for leaving the garbage, but I'm for PREVENTION!!!
I also can't stand to see cigarette butts on the sides of the road. Check out http://www.cigarettelitter.org/.
I wish people would establish more ways of prevention and punishment such as fines and jail time (1 night would be enough)! If we can put up cameras at red lights and then mail out tickets to people who run them, why can't we put up cameras to catch pedestrians littering? Or we could put up signs along the bike path that address those who litter with "trash talk", like "Dear Garbage Dropper, please keep your filth to yourself.", or "Dear Stinky, 30A is not your garbage can.". I don't know....something!
People keep littering because they can. Nothing is being done to stop them. It would be nice if everyone was mature and respectful, but the truth is some are heartless and disgusting.

jnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 25, 2011
Shells, I completely agree that the root of the issue is the people throwing out the trash, but I honestly don't know how that problem can effectively be solved. Every time I bend down to pick up a piece of trash, I hope that maybe, just maybe, someone driving by notices me doing that and will think twice before throwing trash out of their window. A pipe dream, I'm sure, but a girl can dream. I guess I thought if there were well-publicized community pick-up days, that maybe that would also make some people think twice.

I do like your idea about the signs! On that note, I've also noticed that the only public trash cans are located at beach access points. On 30-A west of Grayton, there aren't any public access points, therefore no trash cans. When we used to walk that section and needed a trash can, we'd have to carry it all the way home.

Zebraspots - do you know how often the sheriff's work crews are out? In my 9 months of living here, I've never seen that.

Just a few minutes ago on my afternoon walk I filled up a whole plastic bag full of trash on the short distance from the Bramble Grove beach access to the Pelayo beach access - maybe a tenth of a mile.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Several years ago, a small town close where I live let it be known if one was caught littering ,they would be fined. To this day people still heed that warning. Might work down there . Itoo pick up trash when I'm there and I hate that some will trash any thing.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks to the two elderly gentlemen picking up trash on Scenic 30A at Deer Lake yesterday. Friends of Deer Lake State Park maybe?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
No more signs, people ignore them anyway.
I say erect stocks and pillory in Seaside and humilate litterbugs. We could get a politician to name them the Charlie Modica It's Hard To Be Hospitable When You Throw Crap On the Bike Path Memorial Stocks and Pillory. The Seaside School kids could build them out of reclaimed lumber and paint whimsical scenes on them...

I've run/walked the bike path in Seagrove/Seaside many times. There are not enough trash cans for public use along the way. There are tons of trash cans along the way that have signs that say something like "For use by the residents of [fill in the blank] only." I'm in South Walton a lot, and I have never witnessed anyone through trash out of the window of a vehicle. But I know that happens.

No more signs. People who are gonna litter are gonna litter, regardless of signs.

There was a boating event in our town last summer. The amount of trash in our yards was unbelievable. There were a lot of fast-food bags and cups in our yards -- they were thrown from vehicles because who would eat fast food and then bother to stop and put the trash in their boat? What was disturbing was all of the stuff that apparently blew out of boats being towed. There were styrofoam coolers, floats, and even kiddie swimming pools in our yards! One of our neighbors had a sign made that says, "Please do not litter my neighborhood." Guess whose yard gets littered the most. He still has that sign in his yard.