Traveling to the Florida Panhandle? Tips & Advice

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Teresa, May 21, 2020 at 1:00 PM.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

We're seeing a lot of excitement about opening our beaches, businesses, restaurants and vacation rentals. We're all #InThisTogether during the COVID19 pandemic and share responsibility for protecting our families and communities this summer. We welcome our visitors to the world's most beautiful beaches. And we ask you to please plan ahead, pack your supplies and your patience, and be mindful of health and safety during your stay.

Summer 2020 is here and vacation rentals are open. Let good times roll with caution, social distancing, fun in the sun, with kindness and care for everyone around us.

I'm seeing a lot of important and positive advice from locals, businesses and beach lovers and would like to share them with our readers. Feel free to offer your friendly and constructive advice by posting here. Please be kind.

FB_IMG_1588350320232.jpg

2. Teresa

The Art of Simple
    Seaside

For those of you headed our way soon to vacation on our beautiful beaches, we kindly ask that you pack plenty of kindness, patience and supplies.

PLAN AHEAD is the best way to prepare for your trip to 30A. Local supplies are limited so bring hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, toilet paper, groceries, etc.

Please bring face coverings. Friends they are not a symbol of fear but they are a symbol of LOVE! #spreadlove on your trip to the beach

Restaurants & shops have limited capacity by law and may be understaffed. Please be patient & kind. If a shop ask you to wear a face covering - please be respectful and DO IT!

If you have to shop at a grocery, send one person only with face mask, follow the one-way arrows, get in and out quickly.

Restaurants are not allowed full capacity and will fill quickly and likely have wait times. Consider pick up.

Always practice safe social distancing, as recommended by the CDC - how to stop the spread of germs. If you or anyone in your group is sick, postpone your vacation. If you or anyone in your group begins to feel sick, return home immediately to shelter in place & seek medical attention. Hospital care & beds are limited at the beach.

Thanks for all your love and support while we were closed. We can’t wait to meet all of our great online shoppers in person, so make sure you tell us when you stop in the shop. #loveistheanswer #shopsmallbusiness #thankyou

FB_IMG_1590083142633.jpg

3. bob1

bob1 Beach Lover

Tip well and have patience!

4. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

A tip for everyone, locals and visitors, and especially event planners:

Do Not attend or create any GROUP events!

I know South Walton usually has tons of events but RESIST the urge to have events!

Gathering groups together is the most dangerous thing going right now. Going to an event is like jumping on a hand grenade - don't do it!

You may be ok with jumping on a hand grenade but you will carry it beyond to other people.

5. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover

We always said "keep your interval to one frag can get you all"!

6. liz coats

liz coats Beach Lover

And if you run into the "Grim Reaper" be sure to tip him too. He needs the money.

7. Teresa

Please offer helpful advice here to residents and visitors as we begin a summer season at the beach during a pandemic. Thank you.

Locals! Get to the grocery store now! Already getting crowded. TP is low. Only a handful of shoppers wearing masks. Tomorrow morning may be the last opportunity time to shop safely.

8. newsprint

newsprint Beach Lover

Thanks to all, this has been helpful. We usually mostly eat at restaurants when visiting 30A but now plan to stay home with our crew and cook in. I'm expecting the Publix near Watercolor and Goatfeathers seafood market to be slammed/cleaned out. Are there any recommendations for higher quality grocery stores and seafood markets that are less likely to be hard hit by visitors? We don't mind driving 30 minutes or longer to stock up if needed.

9. Teresa

Publix stays pretty well stocked on most foods and BEER! But like grocery stores everywhere they are running low on paper products, cleaning supplies and other staples. They also have restrictions on many items such as meat.

Specialty shops are a great source for shopping!

Destin Ice Market Inlet Beach
    For The Health of It Blue Mountain Beach
    Shrimpers Seafood Market Santa Rosa Beach
    Other seafood markets: Buddies, 3 Goatfeathers markets.
    Wine World at WaterColor
    Fresh Market PCB and Destin
    Modica Market in Seaside

10. Teresa

11. Teresa

I love the spirit of our community so much. Here is a message from Central Square Records in Seaside.

We are back!! Central Square Records will be back open tomorrow at 11am for all your music needs!! We are going to take this slow & start with limited hours,. Masks will be required and sanitizer provided at the door.

We will still offer curbside phone orders if you’re not yet ready to shop in-store (or cannot find a parking spot). Thanks everyone for your support! We look forward to seeing you soon!!

#centralsquarerecords #washyourhands #getyourmaskon #seasidefl #noshirtnoshoesnoproblem #supportyourlocalrecordstore

Central Square Records

FB_IMG_1590194619084.jpg

12. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Don't forget to ask the rental company to show you the license and insurance paperwork for the cleaners of your condo. Private owners should have these readily available as well.

13. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

Seconded! I know that’s the first thing I do when I go on vacation.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 10:53 PM
  14. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover

A friend down there just sent a picture of the bridge coming in. I'm glad I followed my gut and stayed away.

15. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

post em up.

:pics:

16. raven316

raven316 Beach Lover

IMG-20200523-104309-01.jpg

17. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

18. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

What bridge is that? I just crossed the bridge an hour ago and it wasn’t like that at all...

19. bamasam

bamasam Beach Comber

Do the restaurants in SOWAL that are doing "take-out" have a website or an App that people can use to order ahead? My city has an App with participating restaurants that will allow you to order on-line and pay at most places. It really has been a blessing for our local businesses that were trying to stay afloat.

20. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

That looks like Hathaway (PCB) coming west.