• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Why can the TDC hire other private businesses to provide services - surveys, advertising, branding, lobbying etc. but not this local company?

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
I am so frustrated about the trolley not being funded. People that live here are the ones who will hurt the most. I for one do not want to go far, especially on 30A, because of the traffic during tourist season. If this year is any indication of what next year will bring, I really hope that this will go through for 2012. I, as well as others, are willing to pay to use the trolley and that would help bring in more money to help support it. I cannot imagine many people willing to go further than they do now if they had a trolley to do the driving for them. The businesses that were not willing to cooperate in supporting the trolley would sure be happy to have more business, especially at this time of year. Tourists would also travel further on more occasions if not having to drive. It is terribly congested and with the cars parked where they are, you cannot see anything when you are trying to pull out of some very popular areas. Here's to next year!!!!

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
No Trolley on 30-A!!!!! I can just imagine being on my sleeping porch and listening to a bunch of drunks on the Trolley at 2:00 a.m. A more reasonable time to stop service would be no later than 6:00 p.m. Makes me start to think of Disney????????????????????

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
No Trolley on 30-A!!!!! I can just imagine being on my sleeping porch and listening to a bunch of drunks on the Trolley at 2:00 a.m. A more reasonable time to stop service would be no later than 6:00 p.m. Makes me start to think of Disney????????????????????

I never thought about it since most folks are sleeping way before that time including me. I really don't think that would be an issue especially if you are still awake at that time. When not tourist season I don't think it would really need to run that late. Tourists may like that option though. As many said also it is a matter of keeping as many cars off of 30A as possible so it is easier to get around and less dangerous at this time of year especially. Better for businesses also, more places to park, etc.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
This is absolutely necessary to reduce traffic but I have a lot of questions. Will the tram operate along Hwy 331 North of the bridge and how far East and West along Hwy 98 or at all on these roads. Where and how often will the tram stop. Will it ever stop on 30A or always on the shoulder so as not to block traffic. How will it be powered? Gas is much quieter but less efficient. Cost of the tram can be offset by advertising. Will advertising be electronic or from signs? Who has liability for the tram? Will there be local input from the community in the design and operations. How will changes in operations be addressed?

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
I guess we didn't miss the trolley - not in operation yet. Maybe when we return next June. Ellen

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You'd rather all those drunks be DRIVING past your house?

It's an enclosed and air conditioned vehicle - they wouldn't be heard (unless they get dropped off in your neighborhood).

Waterbaddrinkwine

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2009
Point Washington
Let's talk trolleys

I know years ago they tried the trolley on 30A and it didn't work. I took a few year hiatus from SoWal in the late 90s and moved to St. Augustine. What they have there are those trains (I don't have a better description but they are like the ones at Disney) that cruise the town all day and pic you up at any of the convenient and numerous stops on thier route. I'm sure the price has gone up since I lived in St. Augustine but back then it was $10.00 for an all day pass. The most you ever wait may be 10 minutes. I could see 4 of those running up and down all day and the tourists would love feeling like they were in a parade. Locals could use them to get to work. We could put in a park and ride somewhere slightly north but close to 30A. Trolleys are ok but the trains are fun and open aired which I think are more conducive to wanting to jump on and go for a ride. They could support themselves through slow time with advertising on the sides and maybe a small fee from the businesses they stop at!

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
People won't put up money for a simple trolley service much less a fancy train! I don't believe there is room to build a train either. Small place 30A! I just know we need some sort of service other than a few taxis that you have to wait forever for during tourist season as well as them being expensive.