• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

runstarfishrun

Beach Comber
Apr 27, 2011
how about rental property owners help pay for it....when they rent one house or condo to three families im pretty sure that means between 3 and 8 extra cars....the biggest business on thirty a is rentals

mdfamily5

Beach Comber
May 24, 2011
I think that the owners could possibly help sponsor this, I don't see why not. Its a great and wonderfull thing that I have read and would like to see that would be brought to the area. I know from research and others postings that it is a Sunshine Shuttle project (850)650-6333, so as owners could possibly call and talk with them and see how they can go about helping pay or sponsor this tram!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I asked people who know such things.

There are specific rules as to what bed tax money can be used for - despite what I/we would LIKE to spend all that money on, it is limited to marketing the area, beach nourishment, beach maintenance, and support of the Panama City Airport (and yes, that last one makes no sense to me either).

These decisions are not made in a vacuum. The people, business leaders, and county leaders made the decision to start the TDC and what its purpose is. Much of what can be done is regulated by state statute. It was decided to help fund the airport to lure Southwest in hopes of bringing more tourists to SoWal. Maybe we'll get to see some numbers of the real impact.

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
Having read who is supporting the Tram in last week's Sun, it is interesting who isn't. Obviously missing - many Seaside and Rosemary Beach businesses, Reality Management companies...

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I would love to ride the tram. Have they said when it will start?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I would love to ride the tram. Have they said when it will start?

Still not enough merchants backing the project yet. Frustrating lack of support from Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Georges and Shades (which would be the turn around point). Every day that passes makes it that less likely it will launch this year.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Are there people we can call or email to let them know we want the shuttle?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
There was a report by WMBB on Monday that the goal is to get the trolleys running by next week.

"Right now, the goal for Finch and his staff is to get the Trolleys up and running by next week, after which they would have a trial run of the service up until about Labor day. Next year, they will seek full support from the County Commission and the Tourist Development Council."

http://www.wmbb.com/Global/story.asp?S=14900956&clienttype=printable

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
South Walton County, Fla. - There are a few more loose ends to tie up, but organizers are set to start a temporary trolley system on 30-A in Walton County. They say it will bring a higher level of safety and convenience to the very busy road.
"The public's calling every day, wanting to know about if it's going to get up and running, people are writing us emails and sending us letters," said John Finch, owner Sunshine Shuttles. The business is spearheading the campaign to get the trolleys on the road.
Finch says the support for his company's 30-A trolley system has been overwhelming - whether it be by phone, or Facebook, where 30A.com recently conducted a survey saying 80% would support a trolley system. He says the trolley would present great promotional opportunities for South Walton.
"Wouldn't we love to be able to market this region and say we've got public transportation? It's not only public transportation, but it's fun!" Finch said.
That fun would stretch along the 18 miles - east to west - of 30 A. Two trolleys would hold 30 passengers each and run every thirty minutes. Currently there are plans for 22 stops. The cost of the two trolleys' service is about $1,600 per day.
Probably most appealing feature of the trolleys: they would be free to riders. Businesses that sponsor a stop at their businesses would provide the funding for the service.
"If all participate...It costs very very little for each business and we all benefit," Finch said.
Frank Nick, owner of Nick's on the Beach, wants his restaurant to get a slice of the public transportation pie, and the benefits that come with it. He warns, however, that this has been tried before back in the 90's with less than desirable results.
"Some of these kids that would get on it were a little rowdy and it turned off a lot of the perspective people who were riding it," Nick said.
He's all for the trolley idea, as long as there are some rules.
"Yes it will work...do I support it...yes I do support it...they need more regulations on their rides," Nick said.
Right now, the goal for Finch and his staff is to get the Trolleys up and running by next week, after which they would have a trial run of the service up until about Labor day. Next year, they will seek full support from the County Commission and the Tourist Development Council.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Why don't they put a money bank in it, like they have on buses when you first get on, so if some people want to "donate" to their ride, they can, but not make it mandatory? I am sure there are many of us who see the benefit of this who wouldn't have a problem throwing a few bucks in to avoid having to find parking, risk driving under the influence, or have to pay a valet for parking, like at Stinky's. Their lot is always full, it's small and if you have a rent a car, like I do, I get a little nervous about someone else parking it.