• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Has anyone used U build-it to build a home in this area?

I think it's a great idea, and would like to find out more about the process.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Never heard of it. If it has anything to do with you being your own contractor, good luck. :rotfl: I'd leave that to the pros, and even they have trouble with subs.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can think of myriad potential problems w/ being your own contractor etc. that's why I want to find out more about the process from someone who has actually done it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It seems that you do, but they sort of oversee the project & help you coordinate it for a flat fee instead of the usual %. Personally I'd never build a house w/o using an architect and a contractor as they EARN every penny, but I know that isn't an option for everyone.

I want to find out more about this as it keeps popping up more and more in conversation.

Their website is www.ubuildit.com

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Typcially, these types of companies have the homeowner pull the permits and then have an experienced, but UNLICENSED "project manager" manage the project. I know of a couple of guys who do this and the reason that they are unlicensed is because they had their license revoked for various reasons. It is legal, but I would be very careful about who you are hiring.

Also, there is a state law that forbids rental or sale within two years, of any property that was built by a non-contractor owner. If you pull the permit, you are the builder.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Typcially, these types of companies have the homeowner pull the permits and then have an experienced, but UNLICENSED "project manager" manage the project. I know of a couple of guys who do this and the reason that they are unlicensed is because they had their license revoked for various reasons. It is legal, but I would be very careful about who you are hiring.

Also, there is a state law that forbids rental or sale within two years, of any property that was built by a non-contractor owner. If you pull the permit, you are the builder.
...and no lender will give you a construction loan if an unlicensed contractor pulls the permits and builds the house.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
did not use them but i did meet the fellows and listened to their deal...as you would expect you exchange paying peter to pay paul for the info provided...best thing you could ever do is find out a reasonable per square foot building cost for the quality and type of structure you need...some say the "going rate" is around $150/ft for custom residential with all bells and whistles...maybe 100 for low end specs...it was a whole bunch lower than that just 2 or 3 years ago...and with the market like it is per/ft prices should be receding like home prices are...but are they?...u-decide...good luck