• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
are there any people interested in playing Ultimate Frisbee? I'd like to start playing again.I'll organize it if it looks like we could get 16 to 20 folks who'd like to play. Let me know.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BeachSteelers said:
are there any people interested in playing Ultimate Frisbee? I'd like to start playing again.I'll organize it if it looks like we could get 16 to 20 folks who'd like to play. Let me know.
Sounds dangerous. Didn't the fiddle player for Widespread Panic have an injury, paralyzing him, while playing Ultimate?

Only kidding, but it is a true story. I think it is too hot around here to begin playing now. Perhaps if you waited until Sept to start it up, I would join in the active funn.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
I'll remember Sept. but I'm booked up most of the month. Didn't here about the fellow getting paralyzed while playing. But normally is a non contact sport. And I love playing in the heat but mornings are nice. Since there really aren't nice parks with ballfields(Why is that?) I suggest the beach might work.

sunshine kid

Beach Lover
Jun 3, 2006
grayton on western lake
whats's ultimate frisbee? Sounds extreme.:dunno: I'll play sometime i guess but im a kid so that wouldnt work.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Wow, I have not tought about this game since high school. I will play as long as I can be on the 'shirt' squad if it is shirts vs skins as it was back in those days :lol:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hope you are in good shape, because in ultimate, all you do is run, run and run some more. I'm exhausted just thinking about playing ultimate again.

My favorite frisbee game is Guts. I have a 20-year-old stone bruise on my thumb from playing so much in college.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
It's a good game. Mix football and soccer with the disc flying at crazy angles. Run ,run and run is about right.check WWW3.upa.org for complete rules. But its normally non contact with players calling their own fouls. No foul outs like in hoops but indescriminate fouling is not in the Spirit of the game! And having enough people for subs helps in the barfing factor. start running everyone. :rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BeachSteelers said:
It's a good game. Mix football and soccer with the disc flying at crazy angles. Run ,run and run is about right.check WWW3.upa.org for complete rules. But its normally non contact with players calling their own fouls. No foul outs like in hoops but indescriminate fouling is not in the Spirit of the game! And having enough people for subs helps in the barfing factor. start running everyone. :rotfl:
If you are going to play on the beach, start running on the beach. It will kill your calves and muscles controlling the ankles.

blackmonchapel.jpg

By Art Howard
Full story Still recovering from a broken neck that left him temporarily paralyzed, David Blackmon, the man whose fiddle stylings have been heard with everyone from Widespread Panic to Jerry Reed, returned to the stage at Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta on Thursday, May 18th for a show with the Emma Gibbs Band. Blackmon walked onto the stage with a cane and the help of band members, but when he put bow to violin there was no need for crutches of any kind.

The news of Blackmon's broken neck was well-circulated, but the details of how it was broken were not. He says, "I took a weird fall playing frisbee and I just tripped over a tree root. It was a fall that anyone else could take, but apparently I was a disaster waiting to happen. It was either a birth defect or playing the fiddle for so long, but my sixth and seventh vertebrae had deteriorated to the point where it didn't take much at all to snap them. Basically they disintegrated." ...