• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
We are trying to get our set up at the beach this morning at 7:20. The Sea Oats company has everything set up 3 rows deep down each side of Seacrest Beach as far as the eye can see. If regular umbrellas are set up AT the water, they set up in front of peoples closed umbrellas! And in between! They can't even be opened they are so close!

The rows behind the front row of chairs are set up about 5-7 feet apart to take up as much space as possible on the beach. It's insane! The others who were doing due diligence this morning were furious. They are talking about upending the umbrellas and chairs and throwing them to the side.

I am here with a friend that has never visited. She loves it and actually is researching real estate! However this has left a really bad taste in her mouth. She came back furious. We have paid a small fortune to come, got up at 7:15 to set up and it's already that bad.

I've come for years and never seen it so bad. Where to complain? Tomorrow we will take pics.

I love 30a, I hate to see this!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Hence the reason we get up and have our place staked out and set up at 6:00 am. I must say though that the beach chair service in front of Emerald Hill Condos is awesome. He comes by several times during the day to ask if we need anything. And we don't even use his service. I have asked him on numerous occasions to drill a hole in the sand for me to put up my own umbrella and he does it without hesitation. I understand the beach chair rental companies getting out early to set up because this is their life blood. And, I understand the visitors frustrations as well. We stay in Seagrove Beach and for the whole week we were there the beach chairs were only one deep and they would arrange them however the visitors wanted them arranged. So I do see both sides of the situation.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Thanks for the comment!

I also agree that it's ok for rental companies to make a dime. But to take up the entire beach, 3 rows deep before any customers is flat wrong. The rest of us are out there doing due diligence and they already have the entire area taken up. There must be a middle ground.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Is this happening on one of those so-called "private beaches" ?? If so, you may have no recourse. They might only want paying guest sitting on paid for chairs.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
We are trying to get our set up at the beach this morning at 7:20. The Sea Oats company has everything set up 3 rows deep down each side of Seacrest Beach as far as the eye can see. If regular umbrellas are set up AT the water, they set up in front of peoples closed umbrellas! And in between! They can't even be opened they are so close! The rows behind the front row of chairs are set up about 5-7 feet apart to take up as much space as possible on the beach. It's insane! The others who were doing due diligence this morning were furious. They are talking about upending the umbrellas and chairs and throwing them to the side. I am here with a friend that has never visited. She loves it and actually is researching real estate! However this has left a really bad taste in her mouth. She came back furious. We have paid a small fortune to come, got up at 7:15 to set up and it's already that bad. I've come for years and never seen it so bad. Where to complain? Tomorrow we will take pics. I love 30a, I hate to see this!
call Beach Code Enforcement. Jeff (cell) 850-428-0089 Jeff@visitsouthwalton.com they can NOT set up unless they have names...call him!!!

GingB

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
There is an easy solution

We are trying to get our set up at the beach this morning at 7:20. The Sea Oats company has everything set up 3 rows deep down each side of Seacrest Beach as far as the eye can see. If regular umbrellas are set up AT the water, they set up in front of peoples closed umbrellas! And in between! They can't even be opened they are so close!

The rows behind the front row of chairs are set up about 5-7 feet apart to take up as much space as possible on the beach. It's insane! The others who were doing due diligence this morning were furious. They are talking about upending the umbrellas and chairs and throwing them to the side.

I am here with a friend that has never visited. She loves it and actually is researching real estate! However this has left a really bad taste in her mouth. She came back furious. We have paid a small fortune to come, got up at 7:15 to set up and it's already that bad.

I've come for years and never seen it so bad. Where to complain? Tomorrow we will take pics.

I love 30a, I hate to see this!

I live in Sand Cliffs on the Gulf and we are a non-rental community. You can go to our beach anytime and only have a handful of homeowners down there. It is so refreshing to have privacy when you are trying to enjoy your vacation or time on the beach. If you want to see some homes in our community let me know. More and more people are finding out that a non rental community is the best way to go.