• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
That's all good, but filling up the airport and leaving less room for Southwest doesn't strike me as a good move. :dunno:

Pensacola is in the midst of an expansion of their airport and Southwest only buzzes in and buzzes out--no need to keep a bunch of jets sitting on the tarmac overnight.

...granted there will be PLENTY of room at NorthwestFloridaPanamaCityInternationalAirport--but I think Southwest will be more interested in filling up their seats on the planes and less interested in whether passengers have room to stretch out across 4 empty seats in the lounges.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That's all good, but filling up the airport and leaving less room for Southwest doesn't strike me as a good move. :dunno:
They aren't exactly filling it - 2 new flights every weekday (to DC) and 3 new flights each weekend day (1 to Chicago, 2 to DC) on 50 seat planes.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Thanks to the perpetual pessimists. I keep forgetting that people won't change the airport they use for a $99 vs. $300+ flight. :doh:

/sarcasm off/

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It gets confusing. Do I read correctly that Walton County Commissioner Scott Brannon says that the additional money being taxed to bring in a low cost carrier wasn't specifically for the NWFLPCIA? I was at the BCC meeting when the BCC approved the tax, and there seemed to be no question that it was specifically for the new airport. They had pitched it that Bay County had also contributed. If this Brannon is correct, then Walton County would be helping reduce those fairs even in P'cola.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
It gets confusing. Do I read correctly that Walton County Commissioner Scott Brannon says that the additional money being taxed to bring in a low cost carrier wasn't specifically for the NWFLPCIA? I was at the BCC meeting when the BCC approved the tax, and there seemed to be no question that it was specifically for the new airport. They had pitched it that Bay County had also contributed. If this Brannon is correct, then Walton County would be helping reduce those fairs even in P'cola.

The resolution that was passed specifically states "supporting low cost air service into the region at either Okaloosa County Airport or Bay County Airport."

If Southwest flies into Pensacola, I'm sure there will be many area visitors that will be making the journey to and from PNS to save the extra bucks.

After hearing the dismal Southwest Conference Call about their $16 million net loss for the last quarter; the fact that they cut 10 percent of their most unprofitable and least popular flights in the past year; and their plans to cut fourth-quarter capacity 8 percent; I don't think they'd take a chance setting up new operations flying into Airport O' the Pines.

Personally, I think Walton County should throw its weight behind VPS as I believe it is a strong second candidate--but considering how the county is joined at the hip (or regions there abouts) with JOE, it appears they have no choice than to do what JOE says they will do.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Thanks to the perpetual pessimists. I keep forgetting that people won't change the airport they use for a $99 vs. $300+ flight. :doh:

/sarcasm off/

Yes, I'm stuck in an airport rut because I don't care about prices - must be why I've flown through Pensacola, VPS, and PC in the last 6 months. :roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Southwest also failed to purchase those jets they were trying to buy, so maybe they don't have enough to fly at all. I'm trying to recall the number of acres which JOE owns in Okaloosa County. I think it is something like zero. Is that right?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yes, I'm stuck in an airport rut because I don't care about prices - must be why I've flown through Pensacola, VPS, and PC in the last 6 months. :roll:

I'd love to see you complaining about your recent flying issues down at the unemployment office. Don't expect too much sympathy.