• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Would that make the airport code DOG?

That could work, but someone would have to check if it is available. It is a good BET that the drama behind this Airport Wars will continue. Some lawyers, lobbyists and handlers are stretched thin right now.

(FYI for new to SoWal or the area, Ebro is the well known dog racing track in the area. Ebro, along with the new airport, were once within the original borders of Walton County. They could have just called it the Walton County International Airport. That would name it after a historical famous place and person. Or, it could be named the SoWal International Airport to get that southern beachy feel into the marketing mix. )

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If it was Sowal International Airport, does that mean the call letters would be SOW? :rotfl::rotfl:

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It gets confusing. Do I read correctly that Walton County Commissioner Scott Brannon says that the additional money being taxed to bring in a low cost carrier wasn't specifically for the NWFLPCIA? I was at the BCC meeting when the BCC approved the tax, and there seemed to be no question that it was specifically for the new airport. They had pitched it that Bay County had also contributed. If this Brannon is correct, then Walton County would be helping reduce those fairs even in P'cola.

Does anyone really know what Brannon says. :roll:

PAT RICE: Brannon can't fly around this airport turbulence | brannon, mastered, commissioner - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I attended the meeting when the resolution was approved by the Walton County BCC, and while it may be worded that the additional bed-tax would be used to attract and support low cost air-fares such as $99 flights, there was specific mention that Bay County had already chipped in (and we all know that Bay County wouldn't be contributing to any other airport), and there was no question from any one in attendance at that meeting, that these funds would be going to any other airport, only to the new NWFLPCIA.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I attended the meeting when the resolution was approved by the Walton County BCC, and while it may be worded that the additional bed-tax would be used to attract and support low cost air-fares such as $99 flights, there was specific mention that Bay County had already chipped in (and we all know that Bay County wouldn't be contributing to any other airport), and there was no question from any one in attendance at that meeting, that these funds would be going to any other airport, only to the new NWFLPCIA.

...so that then implys that they wrote a bogus resolution meaning, the BCC was intentionally trying to trick the public/businesses into believing they were in support of bringing a low cost carrier to the area when, in reality, they were colluding with the developers of the new airport to send a bunch of money their way.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Not necessarily intentional deception by the BCC -- the resolution may simply have been vaguely written, which I doubt is uncommon. Lawyers and politicians like vagueness in the rules.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Not necessarily intentional deception by the BCC -- the resolution may simply have been vaguely written, which I doubt is uncommon. Lawyers and politicians like vagueness in the rules.

"supporting low cost air service into the region at either Okaloosa County Airport or Bay County Airport."

this seems pretty specific to me, at least as to the where...they conveniently left out what criteria they might use to decide which one to choose...however. I tend to believe the members knew what they were going to do--as spoken by Brannon at the airport meeting--but rather than take a stand on it, they were just trying to pretend they were open to other possibilities...this kind of behavior happens all too often IMO.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, that is specific. However, that is not the language I recall being given in the BCC meeting. Perhaps that is what they signed, but that is not what I recall being presented at the meeting.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm curious to see the minutes from that BCC meeting. Does anyone recall what date that was brought before the BCC?