• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
You need to look at a map, and remember those houses are why you even have a library to start with.

Now, that's the kind of shortsignted thinking that we need to readjust IMO.

There is absolutely no reason that we could not have had a viable community, including a library, and kept the dunes....it is done in other places and could have been done here. We had a library before--just because it was located in a retail building does not mean that it did not serve the educational purpose of a library. A library is much more than a building--it was the spirit of the people who organized the library that made it work--not just the dollars to build a new building.
It's that same spirit that wants the library open for people to use; while the other thinking closes it.

Preserving open spaces and protecting the environment for people just takes more responsible planning and less greed...

Last edited:

jamnolfin

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2007
I was told by a friend of mine in marketing that the 4 cities SW will fly into are BWI, Orlando, Nashville, and Houston or Dallas. he thought they were leaning to Houston. Im friends with a few of the people in the know and they told me last march that SW was a done deal. It was during the time jeff Kottcamp was here for the Restaurant/hotel thing they were putting together.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Any insight as to how they manage the flight, direct or one-stop, etc? I understand there are some exceptions, but Southwest does have some restrictions it seems on direct flights to a non-continguous state.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Airport Board Provides November Update on Relocation Project — The New PFN

Airport Board Provides November Update on Relocation Project

by NewPFN on November 18, 2009
At its regularly scheduled Airport Authority board meeting on November 17, the board provided an update on the airport relocation project.

• The project is approximately 79% complete.

• The runway extension approval from the FAA to extend the runway to 10,000′ is expected soon. Representatives for Senator Nelson’s and Congressman Boyd’s offices are working with the FAA to expedite the process.

• January 18, 2010 is the target date for the test flight for the FAA so the runway can be certified.

• The Air Traffic Control Tower is on target to the turned over to the FAA in early February.

• Walbridge has made tremendous progress on construction of the new terminal building in October and that portion of the project is set to be back on schedule by the end of November.

• Utilities will be in place to the terminal by the end of November.

• Site prep for the General Aviation (GA) area is underway. Buildings in the GA area are in the design phase and that portion of the project is ahead of schedule.

• The board voted to grade, grass and install the under-drain system in the crosswind runway area at a cost of $950,000. A final decision on the crosswind runway will be made in the next few months. The decision brings the crosswind area into alignment with the DEP permit for stormwater management.
The Panama City News Herald provided additional information about the status of the runway extension to 10,000 feet here.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
I was told by a friend of mine in marketing that the 4 cities SW will fly into are BWI, Orlando, Nashville, and Houston or Dallas. he thought they were leaning to Houston. Im friends with a few of the people in the know and they told me last march that SW was a done deal. It was during the time jeff Kottcamp was here for the Restaurant/hotel thing they were putting together.

SW cannot direct connect into Dallas until 2014 when the Wright Amendment expires. Houston can be a direct connect, but Dallas will be a one stop at best.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I wouldn't be to sure about open spaces always being here. After the R's get done selling the gulf to texas oil men, they will probably want to sell our forests to wealthy "friends" for development! Nah, your right, they wouldn't do that! Would they?
you need "growth"

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
TDC to funnel millions to Southwest | tourism, florida, panhandle - News - The News Herald

The Bay County Tourist Development Council approved an agreement with Southwest Airlines on Monday that will funnel millions of dollars in bed tax funds to the low-cost carrier. The money will be used by the airline for marketing efforts to bring new tourists into Bay and Walton counties through its operations at the new airport under construction near West Bay.

>>>>

The agreement between the TDC and Southwest extends through Sept. 30, 2014. The Walton County Tourist Development Council is expected to approve an identical agreement with Southwest for a half-cent bed tax the county recently approved.
Southwest earlier reached an agreement with The St. Joe Co., the Panhandle’s largest landowner, for the company to guarantee losses by Southwest from its new operations, up to $14 million for the first year and $12 million the second year.
The agreements with St. Joe and the TDC were part of a complex deal between the airline and public and private groups to capture the services of the low-cost carrier, seen by many experts as a positive barometer of future economic development for a region.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
New airport authority considers Walton County representation | style, justify, align - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

Bay County's legislative delegation appeared set Monday night to sponsor a bill that would let Walton County in on the Airport Authority. Then they heard a couple of objections.
"The people that have skin in the game are the ones that should be sitting on the board," said District 5 Commissioner Mike Thomas, who said he supports Walton's bid for representation - its commission did help reel in Southwest -- but not in a bill that excludes others.

<<<<<

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
FAA Approves Runway Extension to 10,000 Feet

The new airport should have its much-anticipated 1,600-foot runway extension completed by a crucial Jan. 18 deadline now that the Federal Aviation Administration has given its formal approval, a “Thanksgiving gift” received by airport officials late Wednesday night.
If everything proceeds on schedule, the new $318 million Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport should open on time with a 10,000-foot runway, needed for the larger aircraft the airport hopes to attract, Airport Authority board chairman Joe Tannehill said Friday.

Work is set to begin on the runway extension on Monday, November 30.

NE SoWaller

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
I was told by a friend of mine in marketing that the 4 cities SW will fly into are BWI, Orlando, Nashville, and Houston or Dallas. he thought they were leaning to Houston.

St. Louis would be nice. Not everyone who travels to SoWal lives east and south. A midwest route would be nice, otherwise it will be two stops to get down there.

:dunno: