• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
About three months ago I read in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that the Taubman Group which owns and operates malls across the U.S. Were looking to develop an upscale shopping center in addition to Destin Commons. The article stated that corporate officials were looking to sign on Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and/or Bloomingdale's as anchor tenants for the yet to be named center. Has anyone heard anything about this locally, and where in Destin is it going to be built? Also, how is Destin Commons, is it a fairly busy shopping center?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Destin Commons' traffic is pretty seasonal, it seems. But the public reports say that they're very satisfied with business there, and I can't remember them losing any fixed tennants since they opened. They're supposed to add more stores sometimes in the future- a line of them sticking out into the current parking lot from where Bogwalk is.

I'm not sure if the new mall refers to that or if it would be in a different location. I'm trying to think of what big parcels of land are left between the bridge and Silver Sands that could support another mall, and there aren't many. Maybe something over by the middle school in relation to the latest version of the Turnberry project (provided the Air Force doesn't figuratively shoot down that project again), or maybe it would be the long rumored redevelopment of Golf Gardens. I think I've seen a planning commission notice sign over by there recently.

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
They NEED those kind of stores to attract the kind of people that would pay for what some of those stores are selling. But, who goes there to shop anyway? If you want to REALLY shop, you NEED to go to New York!

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Amen on NY shopping! I could write a book on shopping and it wore me out.

About Destin Commons, they have the tourist attractions like your Hard Rock Cafe ("cough" big mistake "cough"). But you have other stores like your regular chains locals go to. I feel it's busy all the time. Especially the movie theater.

Only question...would Saks want to come to a town with a "Saks Off 5th Ave." But, Saks is hq'ed in B'ham now they should know the area by now.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Where exactly is Destin Commons, in relation to 30-A? I looked on their website and NO WHERE is there a street address or directions on how to get there! Seems kind of dumb to me, but there you go. :dunno:

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Going west towards Destin it will right past Sandestin on the right. Before you come to the Super Walmart. You'll see the big shark and the guitar on the right . You can't miss it.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Dabell said:
They NEED those kind of stores to attract the kind of people that would pay for what some of those stores are selling. But, who goes there to shop anyway? If you want to REALLY shop, you NEED to go to New York!

That's what I missed! You can't find much at off 5th...though I did find some hot Michael Kors sligbacks for only $120... :lol:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Mermaid said:
Where exactly is Destin Commons, in relation to 30-A? I looked on their website and NO WHERE is there a street address or directions on how to get there! Seems kind of dumb to me, but there you go. :dunno:

Intersection of US-98 and the Mid Bay Bridge south approach road. Destin Commons is on the NE corner of that intersection, Publix is on the NW corner, Barnes & Noble is SW, and Best Buy/Petsmart is SE.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Thanks for the directions everyone.

Agree about Off 5th--the one in Fort Meyers Beach is so much better!