Urban Meyer takes Leave of Absence

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by Beach Runner, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Just announced. :dunno:

"GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.
    Meyer resigned Saturday, calling it quits after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He leaves Florida with a 56-10 record that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak snapped early this month against Alabama."

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...=Meyer-steps-down-as-coach-for-health-reasons

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. For The Health Of It

For The Health Of It Beach Fanatic

As a Seminole Fan, this is great news, as I believe he is one of the Best in the Coaching Business and he constantly beat on FSU. I hope this is only precautionary in regard to his Health.

I hope he gets well with whatever he is fighting.

3. CPort

CPort Beach Fanatic

just heard this on espn

4. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Obviously Nole fan here too, and yes Urban and Tim have been whooping the snot out of us for several years now, but we aren't exactly blameless for that. Meyer says he is staying in Gainesville; maybe I am reading too much into that but my first thought upon hearing that was "SHANDS." :sosad:

I hope he will be OK. Rivalries are one thing. Concerns about a relatively young man's health is something else completely.

Love you, BR...

5. Beach Runner

Yes, Shands is awesome. They diagnosed the cause of my infertility when I had been misdiagnosed prior to arriving at grad school at UF. That being said, I really think that Shands used Big D's father as a guinea pig and unnecessarily removed a cancerous lung. This resulted in his Dad having no quality of life in his last days, when he would have been better off living his last days without the excruciating pain of losing a lung.

Love you, too, SN!

6. FloridaBuckeye

FloridaBuckeye Beach Lover

Good Buckeye

Even though I am what the Floridians call a "Gator Hater", I do hope that Urban's health problems are not too serious! He was born and raised in my great state of Ohio, graduated from the college that the Gators will be playing in the bowl game..University of Cincinnati, and received his master's from Ohio State!!! He is a great coach, even though he did coach at UF!!

7. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

I wish him the best and hope the health issues are not serious.

Should be an interesting Sugar bowl, both Cincinnati and Florida lose their coach prior to the Bowl Game, even though Myer will be coaching the game, and the Cincinnati coach going to Notre Dame; which has been reported to be Meyer's dream job. Alot of distractions for both teams.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  8. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

this is great news?

9. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Watching the Emerald bowl and they just keep yammering on about it and posting stuff on the crawl, but not giving any actual info about Mayer.

10. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

I just saw on ESPN that Meyer has decided to take a leave of absence instead of resigning.

11. Beach Runner

Yes, it's been on ESPN since 4 EST. Press conference just ended.