• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Can anyone recommend a company that sells vacant land liability insurance in Florida?

I am buying property and vacant land is not covered by any of my current insurance policies.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Can anyone recommend a company that sells vacant land liability insurance in Florida?

I am buying property and vacant land is not covered by any of my current insurance policies.

How about an umbrella liability policy? That would cover the land and anything else.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Don't believe they sell such a product, but call some insurers and ask. Umbrella policy may be it.

You might also look into creating an LLC to purchase the property to protect your personal assets (to some degree).

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
If someone hurts him/herself on your raw land and that person is trespassing, the ins. policy will be void. Once you begin construction, your construction company will have to prove his/her financial responsibility with proper insurance and limits.

Good idea on the LLC, but check with your construction/perm lender first to see if they will close in LLC as many of them will no longer do that. So, you would have to change titling when you secure that loan, which is a taxable event.

Oh, and congratulations!! Very exciting!!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't want to do an LLC, just want to cover myself between purchase time and start of construction in case of falling trees/drunken rednecks.

I am checking on umbrella but think it is excessive for my needs and am seeing if Geiko has something.

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010

You can acquire a rider to an existing P&C policy or purchase a separate policy from an experienced IA.

Not Gecko. :eek:

I would suggest that you seek experienced land development counsel as well. You are obviously getting in over your head to ask such very, basic questions...on a forum with only one expert responding to you. :roll:

Big Blue

Beach Comber
Aug 15, 2008
We have a GL policy covering vacant land for some property we own in Pensacola. Waldorff Insurance out of FWB helped us obtain. Not very expensive, but you obviously have to convert to something else once construction begins.

Ari Silverstein

Beach Lover
May 2, 2010
If someone hurts him/herself on your raw land and that person is trespassing, the ins. policy will be void.

Perhaps you mean "unenforceable", Entirely depends on the construct of the policy which, I reiterate, is why one should find an insurance agent who specializes in unimproved property insurances.

Regardless of the trespassing, one can still be sued for many, many things that trespasser could encounter and be either injured or killed. You must demand that an Insuror cover wrongful lawsuits in your/their favor or find another Insuror.

Once you begin construction, your construction company will have to prove his/her financial responsibility with proper insurance and limits.

Making certain to hold hamless.

Good idea on the LLC, but check with your construction/perm lender first to see if they will close in LLC as many of them will no longer do that. So, you would have to change titling when you secure that loan, which is a taxable event.

True and if your Lender who will most assuredly require personal recourse financing does not allow you to close into a style of corporate or company entity you prefer (think about investors who wish to remaim without liability; how else can they be properly protected yet enjoy the full benefits of an LLC?), find another Lender.