Vacation Rental News & Info Regarding COVID-19

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by RL41, Apr 4, 2020.

1. RL41

RL41 Beach Comber

This topic came up in the Covid-19 thread. Prior to issuing the state-wide Stay At Home order for all of Florida which took effect Thursday night, Governor De Santis issued a two week ban on vacation rentals on March 28th, which is currently set to expire on April 11th. The circumstances on the ground have significantly changed since the initial Vacation Rental ban was issued, including the Governor issuing the state-wide Stay At Home order.

I am assuming that the Vacation Rental ban will be extended until at least April 30th, to mirror the Stay At Home order for Floridians? Otherwise, we would find ourselves in a farcical situation where we are being told to stay at home, but people can come here from out of state to have a vacation; apart from the obvious ridiculousness of that scenario, a failure to extend the Vacation Rental ban is only going to encourage people to come here, which is exactly what the county is trying to prevent and for good reason.

2. Petermoh

Petermoh Beach Comber

I am always skeptical about making assumptions.

3. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

At this point owners have to hope for a "normal" summer season. Losing most of spring break is bad, losing any of summer is a whole different ball game. Our friends and neighbors are hurting but I hope people remain optimistic. Keep in mind there will be some people giving in to fear, and will be fear talking. And there also already exists a small vocal group who don't like tourism and the tourism industry and will be talking disaster. Filter them out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Petermoh

Petermoh Beach Comber

It is not just vacation property owners that hope for a normal summer. Losing the beach has hurt more than I expected. It was a part of my daily activities.

I agree don't give in to fear. filter out the negative, focus on the positive.

5. RL41

RL41 Beach Comber

Hey Kurt, thanks for your reply. I agree with all of the above, however my real question in starting this thread was to find out whether or not people thought the 2 week vacation rental ban will be extended beyond April 10th; I personally believe it *should* be extended to be in line with the Stay At Home order which is effective until April 30th for all Florida residents. It defies logic and common sense to allow vacation rentals to resume on April 11th, while the entire state is in a de facto lockdown until the end of the month.

6. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Seems like it would be extended but the stuff out of Tallahassee and DC usually gives me a headache and/or a stomach ache. :doh:
    :lol:

7. RL41

RL41 Beach Comber

Still no word on the rental ban being extended......

8. mrs.rocket

mrs.rocket Beach Lover

It looks like there’s a meeting scheduled for the 14th. According to the agenda posted on the WCC website, there will be a COVID update toward the end of the meeting. Whether or not that includes discussing the rental ban that’s supposed to be lifted several days prior, I have no idea. I find it incredibly frustrating that they haven’t called a meeting to discuss this prior to the ban being lifted, so we could at least know what’s going to happen one way or the other.

Here’s a link to the agenda if anybody wants to take a look at it.

Walton County - Meeting Information

9. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

WCEM just posted that he extended it til the 30th............Thank YOU!!!!

Governor Ron DeSantis issues Executive Order 20-103, extending short-term rental ban through April 30.

10. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

11. RL41

RL41 Beach Comber

Thank you Jesus. (And Ron DeSantis).

12. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Hope I can get a refund or a reschedule. May 9th arrival. Haven’t planned on this vacation for a couple of weeks. Staying home of course. Ellen

13. RL41

RL41 Beach Comber

The suspension is until April 30th. It could be extended, I guess, if the situation hasn’t improved by then. I hope you can get a refund/reschedule if it comes to that; this isn’t the time to be going on vacation. I hope it works out for you.

14. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Since it has been extended please report any violations to the authorities and the person/company allowing them to check in to FLDPBR. The EO has changed but they still need us to report the abusers.
    Emergency Management – COVID-19 – Vacation Rental Closures
    Executive Order 20-87 orders all parties engaged in rental of vacation rental properties to suspend vacation rental operations. Vacation rentals are prohibited from making new reservations or bookings and shall not accept new guests for check-in for the duration of the order. If you believe any licensee is operating contrary to the Governor’s Executive Order 20-87, please report the information here.

15. Petermoh

Petermoh Beach Comber

Reschedule is the way to go, hopefully the beaches will be open by then.

16. seafun

seafun Beach Comber

20-103 does not appear at fl.gov or on the Governor's page...FYI

17. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Does this apply to individual owners?

18. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

19. RL41

RL41 Beach Comber

It applies to "all parties engaged in rental of vacation rental properties".

20. liz coats

liz coats Beach Lover

Maybe people should consider the possibility that they're not going to die if they don't go to the beach this summer. There are lots of places in the country where families can enjoy a nice vacation. It's going to take time for things to get back to "normal" and it may not happen quickly.