• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
This topic came up in the Covid-19 thread. Prior to issuing the state-wide Stay At Home order for all of Florida which took effect Thursday night, Governor De Santis issued a two week ban on vacation rentals on March 28th, which is currently set to expire on April 11th. The circumstances on the ground have significantly changed since the initial Vacation Rental ban was issued, including the Governor issuing the state-wide Stay At Home order.

I am assuming that the Vacation Rental ban will be extended until at least April 30th, to mirror the Stay At Home order for Floridians? Otherwise, we would find ourselves in a farcical situation where we are being told to stay at home, but people can come here from out of state to have a vacation; apart from the obvious ridiculousness of that scenario, a failure to extend the Vacation Rental ban is only going to encourage people to come here, which is exactly what the county is trying to prevent and for good reason.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
At this point owners have to hope for a "normal" summer season. Losing most of spring break is bad, losing any of summer is a whole different ball game. Our friends and neighbors are hurting but I hope people remain optimistic. Keep in mind there will be some people giving in to fear, and will be fear talking. And there also already exists a small vocal group who don't like tourism and the tourism industry and will be talking disaster. Filter them out.

Petermoh

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
It is not just vacation property owners that hope for a normal summer. Losing the beach has hurt more than I expected. It was a part of my daily activities.

I agree don't give in to fear. filter out the negative, focus on the positive.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
At this point owners have to hope for a "normal" summer season. Losing most of spring break is bad, losing any of summer is a whole different ball game. Our friends and neighbors are hurting but I hope people remain optimistic. Keep in mind there will be some people giving in to fear, and will be fear talking. And there also already exists a small vocal group who don't like tourism and the tourism industry and will be talking disaster. Filter them out.

Hey Kurt, thanks for your reply. I agree with all of the above, however my real question in starting this thread was to find out whether or not people thought the 2 week vacation rental ban will be extended beyond April 10th; I personally believe it *should* be extended to be in line with the Stay At Home order which is effective until April 30th for all Florida residents. It defies logic and common sense to allow vacation rentals to resume on April 11th, while the entire state is in a de facto lockdown until the end of the month.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hey Kurt, thanks for your reply. I agree with all of the above, however my real question in starting this thread was to find out whether or not people thought the 2 week vacation rental ban will be extended beyond April 10th; I personally believe it *should* be extended to be in line with the Stay At Home order which is effective until April 30th for all Florida residents. It defies logic and common sense to allow vacation rentals to resume on April 11th, while the entire state is in a de facto lockdown until the end of the month.
Seems like it would be extended but the stuff out of Tallahassee and DC usually gives me a headache and/or a stomach ache. :doh:
:lol:

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
It looks like there’s a meeting scheduled for the 14th. According to the agenda posted on the WCC website, there will be a COVID update toward the end of the meeting. Whether or not that includes discussing the rental ban that’s supposed to be lifted several days prior, I have no idea. I find it incredibly frustrating that they haven’t called a meeting to discuss this prior to the ban being lifted, so we could at least know what’s going to happen one way or the other.

Here’s a link to the agenda if anybody wants to take a look at it.

Walton County - Meeting Information

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
WCEM just posted that he extended it til the 30th............Thank YOU!!!!

Governor Ron DeSantis issues Executive Order 20-103, extending short-term rental ban through April 30.