• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
By Joyce Owen

FREEPORT ? Hector and Manuel Alvarez looked around their community and noticed there was something missing ? a place where families could gather for an affordable meal while listening to good music.
Hector had been in the restaurant business for several years and knew he could bring that kind of restaurant to Freeport.
The young man had learned many of the skills he needed to create a thriving restaurant from his fatherin-law, Pedro Alvarez, Sr., owner of Don Pedros restaurant in Santa Rosa Beach.
Together Hector and his brotherin-law, Manuel Alvarez, designed Vallarta de Noche Bar and Grill. The restaurant is located at the Olde Towne Village in Freeport and has seating for 150. The stylish Mexican restaurant aims to offer good food at reasonable prices. The upscale ambiance includes a gently splashing water wall and live music. On Friday nights, a Mariachi band strolls through the dining room entertaining customers. Plans are being made to have other musicians perform throughout the week.
Building a large restaurant was important for Hector who wanted to accommodate large groups.
Although several new restaurants have opened in Freeport, few have the capacity available at Vallarta de Noche.
?I can do a line of tables beside the water wall and seat 20 ? 25 people,? he said.
The Alvarez family opened the restaurant on Sept. 5, just as the tourist season ended. There?s also the construction on U. S. Highway 331 that will bypass Freeport. Although he plans to put up signs where the old highway veers away from the city, Hector doesn?t look to tourists as the bulk of his business.
?Our customers are local, working people,? he said. ?It?s a place where you can come here with your family. It looks expensive, but it?s not.?
The Alvarez family started the project last December. After they got the approvals, it took another six months to complete the construction and outfit the restaurant.
Hector and Manuel wanted Vallarta de Noche to have a fancier, upscale feel not always associated with Mexican restaurants. Hector said it would take at least two years to recover the expense of opening the restaurant, but he is determined that they will be successful. The family is already considering opening another restaurant in Destin.
?I work hard. If a waiter or cook calls in sick, I can work in the kitchen or bus tables. I can tend bar,? he said.
?I do all the paperwork, but I like it. I?m happy. I?m working for myself,? he said.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
IBD and I hit this place tonight on our way back from DeFuniak. It was the best Mexican food I have had in forever- very fresh and a bit different from the usual Mexican places. I had 2 wonderful chicken enchiladas (with recognizable pulled chicken breast meat!) - one with a lick-the-plate cilantro sauce, the other with a yummy spicy cheese sauce. IBD had a relleno that was as big as the plate and equally delicious.

The interior is great too- lots of candlelight and a waterfall wall!

There are 2 yummy special frozen margaritas- one with a splash of Chambord, the other with a splash of Sangria. Nice strong iced tea too.:shock:

I'm going to have dreams about that cilantro sauce.:love:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
This was very good. IMHO, I always judge a mexican place by how good their relleno is. This one was one of the best I have ever had. The sauce over it was excellent BUT very spicy. Needed many more margaritas but since we were coming home from a girl scout leader meeting it just did not feel right. :roll: :D

I cant wait to go again. It is 16 minutes from Jdargs house....fyi...:D

We need to go and Sowal the place....:lol:

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Yummmm, this sound grayt! Let's SoWal it over the Thanksgiving holiday. We will all be tired of turkey & dressing.....so let's cruise on up Friday or Saturday:clap_1:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
This was very good. IMHO, I always judge a mexican place by how good their relleno is. This one was one of the best I have ever had. The sauce over it was excellent BUT very spicy. Needed many more margaritas but since we were coming home from a girl scout leader meeting it just did not feel right. :roll: :D

I cant wait to go again. It is 16 minutes from Jdargs house....fyi...:D

We need to go and Sowal the place....:lol:

if we SoWal the place....it may take him more than two years to recover his expenses...especially if there is a kitty in the house....;-)

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
if we SoWal the place....it may take him more than two years to recover his expenses...especially if there is a kitty in the house....;-)

This begs the question....did they have a...

JUMBO???? :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
No.:sosad: Maybe we will have to bring our own big glasses.

I'll start looking!!! :clap_1: We can go in there and say..."Fill 'er up!" But, Hop will have to pick them up for us.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
This begs the question....did they have a...

JUMBO???? :D

No.:sosad: Maybe we will have to bring our own big glasses.

Really we dont know, I guess. On the menu they had 3 "specialty Margaritas" I certaily hope that there are more choices. We just did not ask. If not, I will go to the local fish store and buy a fish bowl....:D just for miss kitty....