• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

notail

Banned
Feb 20, 2006
Any recommendations on eating out as a vegan on 30A? (For those who don't know, a vegan is a vegetarian that eats no animal products at all. No eggs, milk, cheese, butter, etc.) Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. I'll be visiting for a month in January.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Hibiscus is a vegetarian breakfast establishment, I am sure they have some vegan offerings as well. Most places offer some sort of vegetarian dishes, that could also be considered vegan. You just have to ask specifically for no animal products at all.(some chefs truly do not know the difference....;-)) For The Health Of It has protein smoothies (Blue Mountain Beach)
I am sure you will get additional ideas...from locals.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've cooked a few Vegan meals, but I don't think you will have much choice, eating at local restaurants. Hibiscus is Vegetarian, but other than maybe a smoothie or a bowl of fruit, I cannot think of any vegan items they have. Your best bet is to ask for a plate of steamed veggies cooked with no meat nor butter, and explain that you are Vegan. (note- not all cooks at restaurants know what Vegan means.) I have some Vegan friends, and am always discovering little things which they don't use, that I never think about, like Burt's Bees chapstick, which contains both Bee wax and Lanolin. Wish I had a recommendation for you.

notail

Banned
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I imagined my options would be limited...thought I would see if any local vegans had a favorite dish at a nearby restaurant or other suggestions.

Good thing I'll be prepared to do a lot of cooking. My rice cooker, wok, and food processor will be making the trip south with me.

As for restaurants, I have had luck at some Mexican places. Corn tortillas with beans, rice, veggies, and guacamole can work for me. Or Asian places with stir fry or currys that use coconut milk and no yogurt. Or Sushi with only veggies. Or Italian with pasta and a tomato based sauce.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Being a Vegan, I'd guess you are up on your ingredients, but be aware that plenty of pastas contain eggs. I make my dough from flour, eggs, and olive oil.

notail

Banned
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, you're right. You always have to ask! Does the pasta have eggs in it? Is the oatmeal made with milk? Is there butter in the rice? Lard in the beans? Chicken stock in the soup? And so on...

I'm a vegan primarily for health reasons, so I can let a few things slide on special occasions. But it's amazing what a plant based diet will do for your cholesterol, weight, blood sugar, etc. and with ZERO drugs.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you are going to ask about butter in the rice, you probably know to ask if it was cooked with a stock other than vegetable. Many restaurants cook rice using chicken stock, to add flavor.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes, you're right. You always have to ask! Does the pasta have eggs in it? Is the oatmeal made with milk? Is there butter in the rice? Lard in the beans? Chicken stock in the soup? And so on...

I'm a vegan primarily for health reasons, so I can let a few things slide on special occasions. But it's amazing what a plant based diet will do for your cholesterol, weight, blood sugar, etc. and with ZERO drugs.

A couple years ago, we were able to lower cholesterol, blood sugar, and weight easily with out going the vegan route. I'm sure we will have to do it again soon! :lol:I'm just curious- what do you eat? Give us an idea of a typical vegan day.

cherijean

Beach Fanatic
Hibiscus has a vegan waffle, topped with crunchy peanut butter, fresh fruit. coconut, pecans and honey (is honey vegan?)...we also can make our oatmeal with soy and topped with fresh fruit, brown sugar & pecans served with or without the 3 seed toast..then ofcourse our fresh fruit smoothies.

Stop by while you are here for breakfast and we will happy to accomodate you.

Oh yes...our food is also cooked and served with Love!

Last edited: