visiting in May?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by yellowkat, Feb 24, 2005.

1. yellowkat

yellowkat Beach Comber

Hello everyone, I just found this wonderful site and I am having lots of fun reading, looking at fabulous photos and dreaming of the SoWal beaches. My husband and I are planning our vacation and we were thinking of visiting in the first part of May. This will be our first visit.
    How about the water temperature? Warm enough to swim? We want to rent a small house on the gulf or at least a gulf view. We like a quiet area and enjoy night time strolls on the beach etc. Sunsets of course are a must. Any suggestions? All the areas look wonderful but are there any particular areas thatyou feel like will suit us best?
    I can't wait to hear some of your wonderful suggestions. Thanks Kat

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I'd say get a map of 30A out, start a Blue Mountain Beach and stop at Rosemary Beach.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Glad you are enjoying. :welcome:

For an Ohio kat the water should be nice. For us wimps around here May is the first month the water is warm enough to swim and really enjoy. May is a great month to visit. Any place on Scenic 30-A will fit your bill. Seagrove Beach and Seaside are the most crowded but not too bad themselves. You would enjoy Grayton I'll bet.

On 30-A there are a lot of nice gulf front condos that will be 1/2 the price of gulf front homes. Check out this page:
    http://www.sowal.com/rentals.html

And events:
    http://www.sowal.com/events.html

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. yellowkat

yellowkat Beach Comber

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Would we be better off waiting until June. I know places will be more crowded. We are very flexible on the month to visit.

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

no, no. no. May is by far the number one month in which to be here. October is a close second.

6. yellowkat

yellowkat Beach Comber

Thanks I'll stay with May!

7. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

:cool: I have to agree. Before we had the LittleRiverOtters we used to come in may and October. The water was always beautiful. :cool:

8. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Hmmph. I'm the opposite. :cool:

9. yellowkat

yellowkat Beach Comber

Hey guys what about the quiet areas. Any suggestions? All the areas I have looked at seem great we just don't like a lot of crowds. We love people but would like some room to breathe.
    And I was also wondering about the beach access areas after the hurricanes. Are there areas that have not been repaired? I was really leaning toward Seagrove area. Thanks again. Kat

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  10. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Just about anywhere on 30A in May won't be very crowded. Grayton Beach, Seagrove Beach, Seacrest Beach Rosemary Beach. I doubt even Seaside would be crowded in May but I would wait to see what Kurt and SmilinJOe say about that. :cool:

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

RO, you are as close to being a local as a tourist can get. You are correct. May, especially early May, is a bit slower, because families are saving there vacation until the kids get out of school a few weeks later. June is busy.

...And, Kurt, stop telling people the truth. They don't need to know that October is really the best month.

12. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

:lolabove:

13. taterbaby

taterbaby Beach Lover

Since reading this thread, I a m a little worried about July 9-16. We went to Panama City beach in July several years ago and it was awfully crowded. Will Seagrove Beach be anything like that? I certainly hope not, we are looking for less crowded beaches and a small town atmosphere. Any help would be appreciated.

14. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Compared to May, July is bustling (I don't think I've ever used that word before :lol: ). But it's still nothing like PCB or Destin. July on Scenic 30-A is the All-American Summer vacation! No worries.

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

From June through September, I never go into Destin or PCB. It would be quicker to drive to Atlanta.

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

The 2 CANNOT be compared. After spending a completely miserable 2.5 days at the Edgewater in PCB where the pool was so crowded you couldn't even stick your head under water (not that you would have wanted to), we drove over to 30A and rented a unit at High Pointe. I'm kid you not! It was like driving to another world. No crowds, No rednecks, No rude people. The result was us buying a unit there, and another one after that. (By the way this was in July) You will not be disappointed! (sorry for all the mis spelled words :D )

17. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

hi YELLOWCAT, there is a small condo complex in old seagrove called the beacons. There isnt a pool but you could get a gulf front condo for a great price and the boardwalk would be right outside your door. It is nestled between million dollar homes, lots of breating room on the beach, low crowds.You can hop directly on the bike path or walk to lots of nice shops, we love that particular area :clap_1: have fun in the sun!!!!

18. yellowkat

yellowkat Beach Comber

Thanks Seagrovelover. I will check out the Beacons.

How about the Dune Allen Beach area? Is that a good spot? No one has mentioned it yet.

19. illinifan

illinifan Beach Comber

I think you will be happy anywhere from Dune-Allen to Rosemary Beach. We have been making our annual trek to SoWal for 20+ years, stayed at numerous places and have NEVER been disappointed.

There's a nice neighborhood of houses at Sunrise Beach/Santa Rosa. We also have had good luck with condos through garrett realty.

May is a great time to go. Sure wish we could do the May/Oct thing, but unfortunately school schedules and the 11 hour drive prevent it. Enjoy!

20. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

What he said. :D