• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BPickelTDC

Beach Lover
Jun 30, 2006
In case anyone is interested, here is a press release from the TDC...

THE WALTON COUNTY TOURIST DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL PROVIDES GREAT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

WALTON COUNTY, Fla. ? (January 10, 2006) For those who enjoy talking and meeting new people, then volunteering with the Walton County Tourist Development Council (TDC) is a great way to start the new year. Beaches of South Walton hosted more than 2.5 million visitors last year and the Walton County TDC is building its welcome committee. The Coastal Corps program and the Visitor Information Center provide two great opportunities to welcome visitors to the area and educate them on beach safety and the diverse amenities Beaches of South Walton has to offer.
On Monday, March 12 at 4 p.m., Coastal Corps will hold its first meeting of the year at the Visitor Information Center located on the corner of Hwy 331 and Hwy 98. Coastal Corps, a program of the Clean Beaches Council, is a national volunteer service initiative aimed at preserving America's coastal heritage. Here in Walton County, Coastal Corps volunteers focus on family beach safety. It?s easy to get involved, there is no age limit or special skills needed, and the time spent volunteering is time residents already spend at the beach. Volunteers sign up for specific stretches of beach and educate beachgoers on beach safety topics such as the flag warning system and rip currents, and provide beach safety tips. Coastal Corp volunteers coupled with Walton County?s lifeguard program are critical in establishing direct interaction with beachgoers to ensure they are familiar with the flag warning system and beach safety, while enjoying the area?s pristine beaches.
?This is my second year participating in the Coastal Corps program,? said Geri
Dragos, a resident of Santa Rosa Beach. ?I find the program very rewarding. I spend a few hours of my morning educating the visitors on beach safety and they are very appreciative of the information and literature I provide them.?
If spending time at the beach does not sound appealing, the Visitor Information Center is another great way to meet and educate visitors on beach safety, activities, dining, shopping and other amenities available in the area. Volunteers provide visitors with an array of information to help make their experience memorable.
?Volunteering at the Visitor Information Center has been a wonderful experience for me,? said Clarence Hinch. ?Every day is new and exciting. Over the years, I have been able to meet a plethora of great people and make new friends.?
The amount of time spent volunteering is completely up to each volunteer. Volunteers can contribute a few hours a week or month, or during a particular season. No special skills are required, simply some knowledge of the destination, a friendly disposition, outgoing personality, and a desire to meet new people. The Walton County TDC provides the training and resources needed.
If you would like more information on volunteering opportunities, please contact Carley McMillian, Walton County TDC customer service coordinator at (850) 267-1216 or cmcmillian@beachesofsouthwalton.com.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:clap_1: ...I think I finally found a job!!!! Will someone tell Mr. K I am moving?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
:clap_1: ...I think I finally found a job!!!! Will someone tell Mr. K I am moving?

:clap_1: Miss Kitty teaching beach safety and how to play the rubboard. :lol:
Love it. Just think of all the tourism SoWal would generate once word got around. I think the TDC should pay you. :rotfl:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
:clap_1: Miss Kitty teaching beach safety and how to play the rubboard. :lol:
Love it. Just think of all the tourism SoWal would generate once word got around. I think the TDC should pay you. :rotfl:

Don't forget the "pick up the poo-poo" patrol. If Miss Kitty owned a bullhorn she could rule the world. :funn: